MacBook Alu Uni 13" vs MacBookPro Alu Uni 13"

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by crackbookpro, Jun 8, 2009.

1. crackbookpro macrumors 65816

crackbookpro

So I have the 2.4GHz MacBook Uni with 4GB RAM...what is the difference?

I see that there is an upgrade in the processor, sd slot, and the battery. But is there dedicated graphics or what? ...does "Pro" now mean Alu Uni? ...Is my MacBook extinct?

...I'm confused :confused:

...this "Pro" stuff is starting to concern me...LOL :p

CrackBookPro:cool:

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Not much of a diff. Better screen. FW800. SD slot. All else is the same.

3. ZebraineZ macrumors 6502

Built in battery that claims to go up to 7 hours. 100$ cheaper, more RAM standard and slightly better processor. Snow leopard discount between now and december.

4. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

The better screen isn't unique to the "Pro" moniker, it was available for the past month as well...also the built-in higher capacity batter was "added."

5. GoHack macrumors member

Will the present 13" uMB be able to go up to the 8Gb max that the new 13" uMBP can? Especially for Snow Leopard 10.6, which is coming out in September, and is going to support 64 bit.

Presently the 13" uMB supports up to 6GB.

I understand that the upgrade to Snow Leopard 10.6 is going to cost $29, and $49 for the 5 license pack, which isn't bad at all, plus it uses less HD space than the present 10.5. I'm looking forward to that upgrade. ;)

I'm not a fan of a built in battery, though I do like the seven (7) hours on it. I hope a seven (7) hour replacement battery becomes available for the 13" uMB.

6. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

7. jhsfosho macrumors 6502

Better battery, SD card slot, CPU bump, up to 8 GB Ram. I think thats it?

8. Kyeris macrumors 6502

+ FW 800.

9. blusterballs macrumors newbie

so how do the prices compare now? or are the macbook alu going to be priced as is until the stop disappears ?

10. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Like I said elsewhere, be careful calling the battery "better." Many "roadwarrior" types prefer to be able to carry a 2nd battery if the first one is to die. Just because the rated time is 40% longer doesn't mean that lack of option is now a moot point.

11. crackbookpro thread starter macrumors 65816

crackbookpro

Not having dedicated graphics is kind of lame for the new 13" MacBook Pro - Is the Alu Uni always going to be "Pro" now? I feel the "pro" name will be getting tarnished? I mean...no dedicated graphics, no benefit in speaker system, and the CPU is not that much a bump in my eyes.

I still just don't get it though. It's almost like they are clearly making their consumer wonder what is coming out next. Are they done with Alu Uni MacBooks? Are we going to see more options of the polycarbonate MacBook?...maybe a BlackBook again?

Can anyone answer this one question(I know a posted a lot)? Are the MacBooks going back to polycarbonate?

The MacBook just took a step back!!!

:apple: is playing with us...

12. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

The bottom-end 15" doesn't have discrete graphics, either. 9400M only.

The processor isn't much of a bump, but Intel's bottom end hasn't come up that much. Now, had there been a 2.8GHz option for an extra $400 or so, that would have been nice.

13. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

No. You answered your own question. The old 13'' unibody MacBook is limited to 6 GB, either technically or artificially. The new 13'' unibody MacBook Pro is limited to 8 GB, either technically or artificially.

And I believe the white polycarbonate MacBook is limited to just 4 GB.

But Snow Leopard is, obviously, built specifically for those three models, which means it will run just fine even with "only" 2 GB of RAM or so, which is what my current MacBook has.

14. crackbookpro thread starter macrumors 65816

crackbookpro

so my MacBook Alu Uni is a collectors item or junk?

I think Apple is going a little crazy right now. They just made a great breakthrough for their MacBook (alu uni casing) and now it's gone :confused:

15. gerbilbox macrumors regular

Here's a list of differences I've been able to find in the new 13" MacBook Pro.

- Better display (wider color gamut, presumably better viewing angles and superior blacks)
    - FireWire 800
    - Improved Battery (7 hrs Apple estimate, 1,000 cycles), but no longer removable
    - Modest CPU bump
    - SD card slot
    - Max. RAM now up to 8 GB
    - Backlit keyboard on lower end model
    - Combined audio in/out (as opposed to two separate jacks)
    - Hard drive access a little harder now
    - Security slot is now on the right side (next to the CD/DVD slot)

Just the improved display and the return of FireWire is a substantial upgrade for my purposes. I do a lot of photography, and the old MacBook displays are just dismal for that kind of work--fine for many other purposes and users, but not for me. I plan to check it out in an Apple Store to verify the screen quality, but I can barely hold my excitement about it.

Now, if only they offer a less glossy display (not matte, but a display that's not nearly as reflective as it is now).

16. pufftissue macrumors regular

To get a matte display, techrestore will substitute a matte display for you. But it's $200. Even despite that, which is reasonable, I need to make sure that they're giving me an equally good display, not just some matte screen. I would want it to be a the increased color gamut display even though some gurus think that it's all marketing hype.

17. drake macrumors 6502a

drake

Why does Apple always have to make one move backward for every three moves forward? In this case, I'm referring to the non-replaceable battery (before it was the removal of Firewire).

18. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

LOL i know! I feel like I have a weird misprint machine now that never got "PRO" plastered on.. These machines were only on sale for a couple months.. Are us First-Gen Unibody owners going to have trouble getting batteries and such in the future?