MacBook Aluminium Trackpad - jerky movement

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by iann1982, Aug 24, 2010.

1. iann1982 macrumors regular

I've had my trusty aluminium macbook for around 18 months and recently I've noticed that the trackpad is sometimes unresponsive, it's as if it's registering another press elsewhere.

Moving the cursor across the screen it 'jumps' around from time to time, this is becoming more and more of an irritation.

Any advice on the matter? I'm loathed to take the machine in as I really need it for work at the moment.

2. celticpride678

Have you tried resetting the PRAM and SMC? Are you up-to-date on all software and firmware?

3. iann1982 thread starter macrumors regular

All up to date with updates, I'll try the PRAM and SMC in a moment.

Will report back.

4. iann1982 thread starter macrumors regular

Resetting PRAM + SMC hasn't fixed the issue.

There were a few cat hairs on the underside of the trackpad that were visible once the battery was out, I cleaned this away and also a few other small pieces of dirt.

The problem's still there - there are reports of it being caused by power bricks on the Apple site - I'll try using the laptop for an extended period on just battery power to see if that helps.

Apple Support Article:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1449

5. iann1982 thread starter macrumors regular

It's the power brick causing it - I never would have thought to check that without the Apple support doc.

The brick's about 4 years old from my first macbook, so I suspect it being in my bag, used almost daily over 2 macbooks for that duration has just been too much for it.

6. celticpride678

You shouldn't use a MagSafe from another Mac, especially one that's so old.

7. iann1982 thread starter macrumors regular

Really?
    Pretty sure the specs for the power bricks are the same for macbooks (45w?) Otherwise they'd sell different replacement ones specific to each model?

I think the power brick's just had a hard life.

8. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

+1. and wow i never thought a power brick could cause that. really good to know, because i really don't see how thats related and i would have never guessed.