Macbook Aluminium vs Macbook Air

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by belfast, Mar 26, 2009.

1. belfast macrumors newbie

Hi guys. I'm new here and I was wondering if you could help me a little bit.
    First of all please accept my apologies for any english mistakes, since english is not my mother tongue.
    So I want to buy a laptop and I'm not sure about which one to buy. Here in my country both the Macbook Air and Macbook Aluminium are selling for about 1200 euros. I'm really into the MBA's design and I couldn't care less for not having an optical drive as long as I can get a superdrive. But I'm really concerned about the MBA's less power -and I'm not sure about it's longevity too- as the "Intel Core Duo @ 1.6" does sound a bit weak.
    I want it mostly for browsing, music, and maybe a movie now and then..

Thanks in advance. :)

2. p.luik macrumors regular

The unibody macbooks are very slim themselves. Unless you need the smaler size, enjoy the new macbook.

3. wyatt23 macrumors 6502a

wyatt23

i took my macbook aluminum to a friends house last night, and everyone thought i bought a macbook air... now granted they were he mac crowd, they were unbelievably impressed. i bring this around everywhere with me (in my incase backpack!) and it is never a bother.

you will be so happy with the expansion options and increased power over the MBA.

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I'd go for the MBA since you mentioned that you like the MBA's design...

5. Davy.Shalom macrumors 6502

Davy.Shalom

The MacBook. It does everything you are expecting and more. Also, it weighs 4.5 pounds, which is not all that much.

6. Davy.Shalom macrumors 6502

Davy.Shalom

The MacBook also offers more expandability in terms of RAM, HDD, optical drive, etc.

7. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I have a new/revised MBA, and I would never look back. It is absolutely amazing. It really performs just like the MB. I have the SSD which is really fast, but even the low end performs fine. Also, even though the CPU is slower, it has double the L2 Cache which makes a big difference and makes it harder to compare vs clock speed only.

This display is MUCH nicer on the MBA. If you are going to spend any length of time at all on them, the MBA will be pleasing to the eyes.

I would go MBA. As long as you are willing to go wireless, and get used to remotely connecting to drives, networks, and etc it is really awesome. The MBA is the MB of the future.

Good luck.

8. SecondDealer macrumors regular

My official position is anti MBA and the video link below sums up my stance on the computer as a whole:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0ERgZ9dztk

That being said, my vote is the MB because it has the ability to be upgraded easier, is more powerful, still very portable, more useful, sexy looking, and battery issues are way easier to resolve if they may arise.

9. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

ha I totally remember that video.

Anyhow, I just got a Macbook as a replacement for my current laptop. I never even considered the MBA. Apple made it rather obsolete with the unibody.

10. SecondDealer macrumors regular

Yeah, every time someone mentions the MBA my mind jumps straight to that video, because honestly if you want a computer get a computer... not a big mp3 player.

11. opera57 macrumors 6502

Personally I would go for the MB. My cousin just got one and I was surprised how small it is. For the extra power over the MBA, its definately worth the extra little bit of thickness! [​IMG]