Macbook Aluminum 13" PROTECTION advice

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by maidmarian4, Jun 20, 2009.

1. maidmarian4 macrumors newbie

So, I have a 2 week old Macbook :apple: and add 4 kids (ages 3 mths-7 years) to the mix = potential trouble. :eek: I want to protect it as much as possible. What would you suggest or advise against?

I've looked on eBay for the snap on plastic cases, keyboard (full or half) covers and screen protectors. Are they all worth it? Are some really garbage, and others not? Which ones would (have) you buy?:confused:

ANY suggestions would be great. Money is an issue though - so the lowest price the better.

THANKS for all the potential help! :)

2. maidmarian4 thread starter macrumors newbie

Help! :)

Anyone have advice (little or a lot)???

Thanks!

3. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Are you most worried about liquid spills, it being dropped, it being stepped on?

For liquid, no keyboard cover/light protector will give you total protection. A silicone keyboard cover will help though for sure.

For impact type issues, when it's running not much to do there, but when it's shut down/sleeping, a sleeve or thick case would help I suppose.

Best bet would be to teach them the computer is not theirs to play with, and it's not a toy. Yes, I realize that's quite difficult, but my SO's sister/brother-in-law managed to do it with their kid, mostly by buying a kiddie "laptop" deal so she's stop being interested in their laptop.

4. fireman13 macrumors 6502

As someone who has young kids my self, a 3 year old and a 10 month old, I understand that you can't tell them not to touch because they just don't know better. I would have to say the speck line of cases are going to be your best bet. They're not cheap, but when it comes to putting protection on you macbook, you don't really want to trust something that is cheap. The speck cases fit perfectly and do a really good job. I personally don't have one, I know several people that do and they love them. I used the best skins ever on mine for a while and it did a really good job. However,if your kids get a hold of it, there is no protection you can buy that would be able to save it. All you can do is keep it away from them the best you can. Hope this makes sense to ya. Go with the Speck, you won't be disappointed.

5. kim6ball macrumors member

I heard that ZAGG Invisible Shields are pretty good if you have a Mall installation cart or Geek Squad install it. They're 50 bucks for MacBooks but you can get promo codes to get up to 50% off depending on the day. There's always a 20% promo code, but you have to google to find it.

www.zagg.com

6. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

I simply wouldn't let the little rugrats near my macbook. Seriously, this isn't a machine for toddlers.

Get some used crap-ola PC for them to surf and play mother goose games with. Keep the mac for the big folks - especially if money is tight... it'll have to last you.