MacBook Aluminum Batter Condition just took a huge drop.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by tehgeekguy, May 4, 2009.

1. tehgeekguy macrumors newbie

I have an 2.0GHz Aluminum MacBook that's ALMOST 2 months old.... today, it's been through 42 cycle counts, and using iStat, my health was still at 100%, the system profiler said the condition was good. Well, I fired up iChat today and was using my webcam with my wife and daughter, next thing I know, it just went into sleep mode out of nowhere. When I first started iChat, I was still at 50% of my charge left and had well over an hour left, maybe even 2, I didn't really check the time remaining. I woke it up out of sleep mode and it was down to 1% battery life. So, I plugged it in, gave it a restart, and checked out my battery stats.

Now, in the system profiler, it's showing "Check Battery" under Power -> Condition. iStat is showing 48% for health.

Any idea what could've happened in the course of 5 minutes on iChat? I've done a few restarts now, unplugged the charger and plugged it back in. System Profiler still states "Check battery", which I've taken the battery out and reseated it, and iStat is showing 48%. SP also shows the full charge capacity at 1950, where it was over 4000 yesterday.

I plan on going to the Apple Store on my way home, but was curious if anybody else has seen this? It's not even 2 months old and the only thing I've done recently to it was a hard drive upgrade, but that was over a week ago, and I haven't seen any differences other than more storage space :-D

2. tehgeekguy thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, well.... nevermind. I JUST got done setting up an appointment with the Genius Bar, wrote out a detailed note on what was happening, shut my MacBook off, then wanted to get one last thing off of it before I packed it up and took it to the Apple Store, checked one last time, and it's back up to 100% health and 4129 for the full capacity charge. Great. Well, atleast I noticed it before showing up at the Genius Bar with this "issue" that doesn't exist :D I may still stop out just to have them do a basic check on it to make sure everything is in order.

If a mod wants to delete this post, feel free.

3. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

Have you calibrated the battery since? Glad the issue went away though.:)

4. staccato83 macrumors 6502a

staccato83

Mine did the EXACT same thing. Finally, it ended up going back down to around 60% and then the battery wouldn't hold a charge at all. You should still keep your Genius bar appointment and just let them swap out the battery. They even switched out my charger "just in case."

5. tehgeekguy thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep. I've callibrated twice. Once when I first got it, and the second time about a week ago. Weird little fluke, I hope it's fixed for good.