Macbook Aluminum battery takes almost 7 hours to charge!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by philosopherdog, May 7, 2009.

1. philosopherdog macrumors 6502a

philosopherdog

I just ran my battery down last night and left it over night to re-calibrate. I plugged it back in at 11am and it's now 5pm and I'm still showing a half hour to finish the charge. That's nearly 7 hours to fully charge the battery. Madness. Is this normal or is this worthy of a visit to the Apple Store?

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Woahser, thats a long time. How exactly do you re-calibrate the battery?

3. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

I do notice my battery takes a long time to charge but i dont think that long.

right now its at 89% and it says it has 1hr22m left to charge. I mean now that i think of it, thats ridiculous.

4. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

I believe (and please, correct me if I'm wrong anybody) that when you get close to full charge, your battery accepts less electricity, therefore slowing down the charge speed, to extend the life of the battery... Or something...

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Correct. Will speed charge when the battery is low but once you get closer to 100% charge completion, charging will be slower. It should also be noted is if you're using your MacBook while it's charging, that will affect times as well.

6. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

For correct calibration you need to leave your macbook turned off while it charges, and only turn it on after the magsafe light has turned green.

7. DPB17 macrumors 6502

I'm @ 30 percent and got 2hrs 34mins left until full.

8. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I agree with what has been said on this thread, but as a suggestion from a Friend at Apple I purchased a Uni MacBook Pro charger and it seems with the higher wattage it works a little better then the stock MacBook charger.

Just a suggestion but charging time for me is always an issue bc I am always on my MacBook, in fact I fall asleep on the couch with it, so it is hard for me to calculate how long it takes, but charging it while not using it speeds up the process by a whole bunch O' time.

Wicked1

9. philosopherdog thread starter macrumors 6502a

philosopherdog

Hmm. Is that true? I thought you could use it as long as it was plugged in. What's the evidence for this?

10. philosopherdog thread starter macrumors 6502a

philosopherdog

Run the battery to zero until the machine goes into hibernate or whatever it's called. Then leave it unplugged for at least 5 hours (I leave it over night). Plug it in and don't unplug it until it's fully charged again, which is going to take a long while!

11. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

If you fully discharge it - absolutely possible due to the short real-life runtime - it takes an age to charge. Same issue with Macbook Air and other unibody Macbook Pros. Which is why I don't run it plus any spare I might be carrying flat (consequently notably curtaining the available runtime) if I actually want to use the machine + battery again in the morning. However I do occasionally forget - which is why I have four spare batteries in total, charged using two Macbooks.