Macbook Aluminum... Error in Display profile caused poor battery life???!!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by philosopherdog, May 22, 2009.

1. philosopherdog macrumors 6502

philosopherdog

I've been getting a measly 3 hours of battery juice on a 4 month old Macbook unibody. It's not enough for me. I've been trying to figure out why. The battery checks out fine in diagnostic tests. Nothing seems to be hogging the cpu either. Anyhow, today I went into the display settings and under profiles I noticed the profile I'd downloaded from Macrumours called JC Display was showing an error in Colorsync Utility. I repaired the error and suddenly my battery life jumped like 2 hours! Totally crazy. I'm now getting 5 hours again!! So, I thought I'd post this for anyone else having poor battery life. If you've downloaded a display profile try running a repair on it using Colorsync Utility. Maybe it will work for you too!

2. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

Wow, you're right! JC Display is also showing an error in my ColorSync as well! Although, I'm not using it because it's too dark. The repair didn't work though; I still have two errors. In addition to the JC Display, I have an Epson driver problem.

3. philosopherdog thread starter macrumors 6502

philosopherdog

Ok. You're right. I can't repair it. But now I'm thinking this is not what caused a change in my battery life. I'm thinking now that it was removing slimbatterymonitor from my startup. I don't have any hard proof that's what did it. Call it a hunch at this point. I need to find a profile that isn't producing errors! :confused:

4. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

All the profiles I custom built with SuperCal have an "error" as well, but my battery life seems fine...

5. philosopherdog thread starter macrumors 6502

philosopherdog

I now think it was either the Evernote helper file or slimbatterymonitor that was causing the battery issue. I'm getting 5.5 hours today, and was getting 3 before eliminating those rouge startup items. One of the things that would greatly improve OS X is protecting the system against rouge startup items that drain battery power, etc.

6. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I get 4 if I have the screen dim, radios off. If I actually use my computer, it's more like 3. Maybe it's time to trade up my Macbook Pro for a real portable :p

7. philosopherdog thread starter macrumors 6502

philosopherdog

I'm not sure if you're talking about a previous generation Pro, but the unibodies are supposed to get around 5 hours. I can get 6+ with radios off and screen dimmed doing writing when something isn't loaded that draining the thing.

8. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Mind you, Apple's battery ratings are notoriously optimistic.