MacBook (Aluminum) Fan Running at 5053rpm? Normal?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Derrick Velasco, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Derrick Velasco macrumors regular

How fast is the fan capable of running at? 6000rpm?

Is this really fast, or bad for the fan to be running this fast?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It should still be the classic 6200 RPM. Why would it be bad? What are you doing?

3. Derrick Velasco thread starter macrumors regular

I didn't want to stress the fans, burn them out. I used Photoshop, Safari, iChat, iTunes.

How does the fan work? Does it assume that if you have many apps open if has to go to a high rpm?

or temp?

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

CPU load drives up the temperature and the fans kick in as a result to cool the laptop. It's barely an inch so keeping it cool is going to be tough but possible.

Why are you worried about the fans? The MTBF isn't even near. :confused:

5. dtx macrumors newbie

mine's running at around 2000RPM always. regardless of load or temp.
    I use iStat to monitor it.

6. Derrick Velasco thread starter macrumors regular

hahahah i don't know.

I don't want it to be sad..:(

7. morrisman1 macrumors 6502

why run the fans higher than they need to be? use the standard fanspeed/cpu temp relationship to manage the speed. theres no point in running them faster than they need to be, if the cpu heats up then the fans will speed up to keep that heat under control, simple as that

8. crazyxzer0 macrumors 6502

highest i got the fan was 5000rpm using visualhub converting files. Thats about as fast as ive seen mine according to istat.

9. finnschi macrumors 6502

Same here,...

10. mmnz macrumors newbie

mmnz

fan speed constant

i have a macbook 2.4 alum, and the fan gradually goes up to 6050rpm and remains constant, it never stops until i restart. is that a software or hardware issue?

11. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

when your fans are going up that high look in the activity monitor and see what application is using all of your CPU

12. mmnz macrumors newbie

mmnz

u r right

the problem is that if your fan starts gradually and then goes up to 6000 rpm and stays there until reboot, so there is process which is heating up the cpu, mine was the iantivirus which i installed,...

no matter how much load u put on , there was something wrong, i read many forums and thought that its the hardware, some said it was a stuck print job some sid to reset the smc, but even after doing that , nothing happened when i uninstalled regardless of restarting my macbook , now things are smooth, i run nfs carbon, im in bangkok, and my rooms a/c is off, so i made the temperature around 30 degress cents... so still now my macbook runs excellent, the problem was i antivirus..:):):):)