Macbook aluminum fell... anyway to restore the original shape?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by notjustamuse, Aug 29, 2009.

1. notjustamuse macrumors newbie

My macbook is a few months old and fell. It happened so fast, I'm not even sure what happened. I picked it up, lost my balance, and... After I stopped screaming, I realized that it still turns on and seems to work fine.. For that I am grateful. However, because of how it has dented, the upper left corner grinds upon closing and opening. It is dented in three places, evidently, 'hopped' when I dropped it. If the lid is closed, its dented on the upper left hand corner which luckily didn't break the screen but did affect how the lid opens and closes. It dented slightly on the other side as well but not enough to grate on that side when it closes. Any way to bend these dents out so that it won't 'grate' when closing and opening? It is also dented on the bottom left hand side of the bottom part evidently enough to slightly pop out the aluminum piece on the bottom...

2. morrisman1 macrumors 6502

you really need to post some pictures of the carnage before anyone will be able to offer solid advice.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Need pics.

Your best bet is probably going to be to grab the dis-assembly guide from iFixit, remove the bent pieces and hammer them out.

4. creon macrumors 6502

Ochies. Show us the damage. If anything take it to an apple store and c what they could do. I know it won't be covered but maybe they could offer some advice on how to bend it so it doesn't "grate".

You will be surprised sometimes what they will do, too.

5. notjustamuse thread starter macrumors newbie

pictures of the damage

:(

Attached Files:

6. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

The lower case front corner could be tapped out from the inside maybe if you pulled out the HDD, but you may need to take out the whole logic board to get the SATA/power harness out of the way.

As for the screen case, I wouldn't go at that for fear of damaging the screen/glass/backlight.

7. morrisman1 macrumors 6502

ive seen worse on here. with the front, it might be worth just restoring the internal shape with something like a dremel tool unless you want to try and tap it out, i doubt that will tap out easily

screen, well thats a little trickier as theres glass involved. you may be able to bend it back just enough to clear the upper case.

8. notjustamuse thread starter macrumors newbie

update

My dad helped me bend the corner back in place. Unfortunately, he didn't listen when I asked him to put a piece of fabric between the computer surface and the little bender tool. So now it closes properly but there are a few little marks where the bender tool touched the alum surface. Fortunately he listened when he went to bend the other side. At least it didn't break the glass. I'm in Guam right now and won't have access to a real apple store until November. I may not attempt to remove to tap out the inside since that would require removing quite a bit of the inside...

Thanks for mourning with me!

9. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

So, does it open and close smoothly now?

If it does, then I wouldn't worry about trying to fix the rest of the cosmetic stuff. The chances you break something are too great.

10. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I dropped my alum MacBook too, a few weeks ago. :(

I got a dent on the outside of the monitor lid ... your damage looks crazy though! But I agree, its such a bummer when it's not "perfect" anymore.

11. Chandler Adaway macrumors 6502a

Chandler Adaway

My dad dropped my Alu. Macbook a few months ago. Did damage to the top case and it wouldn't shut all the way.
    He had to pay $900 to get it fixed. I felt really bad; but then again, I didn't. :eek:

12. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

$900?! Yeesh, I'd probably have sold it as-is on eBay or Craigslist and just bought a new one...would have come out cheaper probably!

13. TheVidEditor macrumors regular

TheVidEditor

Let me respond after I stop crying and wiping my eyes on a tissue. I feel the pain :apple:

14. KyPosey macrumors regular

KyPosey

that is my biggest fear with this notebook. best of luck to you.