MacBook Aluminum Screen

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Lee Potts, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Lee Potts macrumors newbie

I was watching a netflix movie and I notice that in parts that displayed a dark screen, a reddish brown mark is in the screen. It looks almost burnt in or something, not dead pixels but just distorted somewhat. Its dead in the middle of the screen but there are no dents on the back from books pushing against the screen or whatever. Does anyone know what this might be from or if it will be covered under applecare?

Thanks in advance

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Any chance it's your Apple logo being lit up from behind by a light source?

The logo is clear, and can allow light to pass in through the back.

3. Lee Potts thread starter macrumors newbie

No i think its from pressure on the screen from cleaning it? Anyone else have any thoughts?

4. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

That could definitely do it too...but even with AppleCare that won't be covered as it's user-caused damage. At least if they suspect that's the culprit.

5. Lee Potts thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah but there is no cracks in the screen or dents in the aluminum. I guess it is hit or miss but I just wanted to know if this was a common problem before I argue my case.

6. thomas998 macrumors newbie

there are some issues with the screens that I'm not happy with... I have a mbp unibody... there is an area near the center that is decidedly less bright than the areas around it.

Also damage from pressure on an LCD screen wouldn't manifest itself the way you describe unless it was currently being put under pressure. If you put your finger on any LCD screen and apply pressure you will see varying degrees of color change, but unless you actually rupture or damage the cells the liquid are in, those color changes will go away as you remove the pressure... and if you cause damage to those individual cells you will know it and there will be no doubt.

I think the reality is the LED backlight technology isn't perfected at Apple and some of us are getting the apple bleeding edge misfires.

Good luck with the apple techs, let me know what you find out. I would have taken mine in long ago except the flimsy shell got a dent in it before I could find the time to drop it off... now I'm quite certain they would simply claim the dent had somehow caused it ignoring the fact that the dent is in a completely different part of the screen as the dark area.