MacBook Aluminum supports SATA II (3.0GB/s)?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by wonderbread57, Dec 19, 2008.

1. wonderbread57 macrumors 6502

I'm considering buying one of Intel's new SSD drives and actually considering the X25-E which is SATA II. It has intense performance but intense price too and I wouldn't want to consider it anymore if the MacBook's HD interface will limit the X25-E. So, is MacBook's HD interface SATA II or SATA I and if it's SATA I will performance of the X25-E be impeded? If so, I mine as well save money and get the X25-M which is SATA I.

thanks

Intel's SSDs on newegg

2. mac jones macrumors 68040

No

I tried the X25-M and it maxed out at 170Gbps. On my desktop (non Apple) I get
    240Gbps (HDtach).

I'm thinking that it may just be the firmware (or even a driver). As the specks for the Nvidia controller clearly say SATA2.

But of course this may just be a "supports SATA2" spec.

we shall see.

So if you using it on the Macbook alone save some money and get one of the many new drives coming out in about two weeks
    (OCZ vertex, etc)

These are about half the price and may have much better write specs than the Intels X25-M (not the X25-E)

Also, the Intels do not work for a bootcamp install....no Boot Camp.

The Intels will see drastic price reduction next month (I'm guessing) also

Note: Also, I just reread your post and it seems you are a bit confused about this tech so I suggest reading up on it some more.

All new drives are SATA2 (no more SATA1)

3. wonderbread57 thread starter macrumors 6502

No to what?
    I was planning to run boot camp on the macbook. Why wouldn't it work specifically with the intel SSDs?
    I read techreports articles on the latest ones. What might I be confused about? My post really didn't state much...

thanks for the x25-m benchmark test result

p.s. I have to kibits that it's somewhat funny you mention "confusion about the tech" given that your first sentence in a topic "Sata2" reads:

4. mac jones macrumors 68040

Geesh, don't get defensive. I'll be the first to say I don't know squat.

I was just trying to help, not one-up or whatever.

Also, I don't know why the Intel doesn't work with bootcamp. But other have said they have the same issue so I don't think it's isolated.

The reason I said to read-up a bit was you mentioned that the X-25 is SATA1 which it isn't, that's all.

I tend to read about this stuff if i'm going to spend $$$$ (which is a good idea :D )

One other thing....the "no" was to the question that is thread subject.

5. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Boot Camp has no problem partitioning and installing on SSD drives. I'm running a 128GB SSD on my Alu MacBook w/ Boot Camp.

However, for the Intel Drives, there are some problems in which Windows Installer doesn't detect there's a drive, therefore, fail on install. However, I only seen reports for installing XP that does that, not sure if Vista fails also. My SSD works with both XP and Vista installs, tried it.

6. wonderbread57 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah, good to know. What confused me was that newegg has the X25-M in the SATA I category and the -E in the SATA II category. Looking at Intel's own website though they are both SATA II.

I'll take your advice and wait a few weeks to buy. Maybe some more MacBook benchmarks by then too.