Macbook Aluminum Unibody Logicboard Replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by AnabolicDudee, May 9, 2013.

1. AnabolicDudee, May 9, 2013
    Last edited: May 13, 2013

AnabolicDudee macrumors newbie

Hey guys! I'm new to the forums, hoping that I'm posting in the correct section. I've lurked around for a few things I was looking into for upgrading my mac, etc.

I have the MacBook Aluminum (Late 08) model A1278 if I'm correct. I've had it for a few months now and its fairly amazing.

Now let me get to the point. What I was wondering, can you replace the logic board with a newer mac's board? Say a new 2012 macbook pro 13 inch...can I swap that into my unibody to make it 2012 pro? I know logic boards are pretty pricey, but if I were to find a cheap one would I be able to do it?

EDIT: Do to the post made in response to my post stating that the 2012 cannot be done due to different pins, firewire (Which is what?), etc, what about a 2010? Or any other newer version compared to the 2008. I'm still new to using macs so if someone can also chime in as to what the firewire and the thunder thing, I'd greatly appreciate it.

2. simsaladimbamba

No, as the port layout is different, the model you have has no Firewire 800 and the 2012 model has Firewire 800. The model you have has a Mini DisplayPort and the 2012 model has a Thunderbolt port, and it also switched places.

To edit your thread title to a descriptive one, to get a knowledgable audience and help making the thread easier to find for people looking for the same information, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the [​IMG] button below your message.

3. AnabolicDudee thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your input. I just came across this article on macupgrades.co.uk

"You can easily tell the difference between the original MacBook Aluminium and the later MacBook Pro 13" models by the formers lack of a FireWire port or SD card slot, both of which are present on the later MacBook Pro 13".

The first (June 2009) and second (April 2010) revision of the MacBook Pro 13" models are very similar, and upgrade compatibility is the same for both models. "

According to this article, does this mean that the 2010 version's logic board can be placed in mine since it is "the same for both models"?

4. simsaladimbamba

If you have the late 2008 Aluminium MB with these ports on the side
    [​IMG]
    and a 2009 and 2010 13" MBP is having these ports on the side
    [​IMG]
    you cannot use a logic board from a 13" 2009 or 2010 MBP in a late 2008 13" MB.

Is that understandable?

5. AnabolicDudee thread starter macrumors newbie

Got it. Thanks for the help!

6. simsaladimbamba

Glad to have helped, but I also forgot to add, that the logic boards you looked at all used C2D CPUs, thus you would have not seen a severe speed increase.
    Maybe add an SSD or two and upgrade to 8 GB of RAM to get more out of your MB.

7. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Definitely upgrade to a solid state drive as suggested above. It will make it feel like a much newer machine for every day tasks.

8. macintoshmac macrumors 65816

macintoshmac

MBP 15.4 Late 2011 here. I wish to swap the logic board to a mid 2012 MBP one to gain the updated processor/ graphics and USB3.

Cost no bar, is it possible? What else do I need to change? I read somewhere I need to probably change the display as well, for the connector is different? In that case, I may just want to buy a 2012 display as well.