Macbook always choosing slower Airport Extreme network.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Gonky, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Gonky macrumors regular

Gonky

Hey,

I've recently purchased an Airport Extreme, the latest duel band model. I've one issue, my Macbook Air will always choose the slower 2.4Ghz network over the more robust 5Ghz. The house has 3 iPhones and 3 Macs, everything is only registered to the 2.4 broadcast except for my Air which is registered to both. Is this the way it's meant to be, I would have assumed it is meant to automatically choose the faster connection. I have the 5Ghz network selected as the first connection in my Network Preferences. Any advice would be appreciated!

Cheers :)

2. dissolve macrumors 6502a

Have you tried removing the 2.4GHz network from the remembered networks to see if it automatically joins the 5GHz under those conditions? Can you manually join that network without issue?

3. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

This^

Open Network Preferences, Click Advanced, remove the 2.4Ghz network from the Preferred Networks list, and add your 5Gz network to that list if it isn't already there.

4. Gonky thread starter macrumors regular

Gonky

Thanks for the reply guys :)

Yep I can manually connect to it, I would remove the 2.4GHz network from the list to 'force' it to automatically connect to the 5GHz one which it does, but when I take my laptop to my room it's too far to connect to the 5GHz signal. Normally it wouldn't be an issue and I'd stick to 2.4GHz but I buy all my TV from iTunes and sometimes it stutters on the slower network if the iPhone receives an email or somebody else in the house is online.