Macbook always goes to sleep when on battery

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jsmwoolf, Sep 25, 2011.

1. jsmwoolf macrumors regular

This is happening today and once yesterday. Every time I remove the AC plug or I'm on battery, my MacBook goes to sleep without me doing anything. It appears that my MacBook shows an X where the battery is. However, this is sporadic and it then reverts back to normal, but it'll repeat the cycle again. The only to resolve it is to plug in the AC.

I have a March 2008 MacBook in which I bought it in June of 2008. I'm running Mac OS X Lion 10.7.1. What's going on?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Make sure the battery is properly seated and connected.
    Reset the SMC.
    Calibrate your battery to make sure its readings are accurate.
    If these don't help, take it to Apple for testing to see if the battery is defective.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

3. jsmwoolf thread starter macrumors regular

Resetting the SMC didn't work. But how am I supposed to tell whether I reseted the SMC?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you followed the procedure correctly, you reset it.

5. jsmwoolf thread starter macrumors regular

Is there is no other sign than if you did the procedure correctly?

Well, it was done right, so I guess I'll report my battery to Apple or keep it on AC until it needs to be serviced as I only went through 307 charges within 10 months. My question though is can my MacBook be dying due to this or this has nothing to do with the MacBook, only the battery?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, there's no other sign.
    There are 3 primary components of the charging system that could contribute to problems: the battery, the MagSafe power adapter and the logic board. If you eliminate the first two as possibilities, that only leaves the logic board. Apple can tell you for certain.