Macbook always running too hot

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by robshookphoto, Mar 29, 2009.

1. robshookphoto macrumors newbie

I have a macbook 2,1, and I've been having major heat problems. I am currently running safari, quiksilver, and adium, and my CPU temperature has been going between 55 and 60 degrees C. When I plug in my second monitor and play a movie, my temperature goes up to 79 degrees, and sometimes into the 80's. My macbook is on a wooden desk, propped up by two pens at all times, and i am trying smcfancontrol but it won't change my fan speed to what i ask it to. Any help would be appreciated.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

What do you mean it wont change the fan speed? Does the fan speed up at all?

Easy way to test is to open several YouTube windows at once.

3. robshookphoto thread starter macrumors newbie

when i try to change the fan speed using the app smcfancontrol nothing happens. the fan speed does go up by itself based on computer temperature.

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Have you tried dragging it all the way up, so that idling speed is around 6000rpm?

5. robshookphoto thread starter macrumors newbie

yep. at the moment my computer is at 65 degrees and 5,521 rpm. and smcfancontrol is set on higher rpm which is set to 6000. ive tried it at different numbers too but it doesnt work.

6. robshookphoto thread starter macrumors newbie

7. pinoyplaya macrumors regular

The highest Ive seen my MacBook Fan Speed is around 2001 RPM.

My highest temperature was around 75C

8. Mintin8 macrumors 6502a

Mintin8

Take pictures of the Temp etc and go back to Apple with it.

9. priller macrumors regular

Is smcfancontrol in the Applications folder? I spent ages trying to work out why it didn't changed the fan speed when it was somewhere else.

Check activity monitor to make nothing is pushing the cpu usage hight.

10. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

I did a handbrake encode on my macbook (2.0) today, just to see how it went. the temp reached a peak of 83 C. HOT!

I'll tell you this, it's the LAST time i do a handbrake encode on my macbook. I'm pretty sure it tool like 2 hours! my mac pro does it in like 20-25 minutes, and the processors only get to about 50-55 C.

11. lazydesi macrumors 6502

I have the same model macbook which does the same thing. recently one of the heat sink was replaced under apple care.

it was usually runs b/w 55-70 c

12. Newton63 macrumors newbie

neat but

guys I appreciate the info but what I need to know for this model is temps around 70-75c and fan RPM's into the 6000's NORMAL? If it is, I won't worry. I use a non-fan thermal mat but temps still seem to be high:confused:

13. skraggle macrumors newbie

If your fan is always on high and it's still not cooling off appreciably, you might have gunk blocking the output area of your fan.

After having constant fan noise and overheating issues over the last few months, I finally pulled it apart (Used this guide: http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/Installing-MacBook-Core-2-Duo-Fan/522/1) and found a thick carpet of almost felt clogged between the fan and the exhaust fins.

Put it back together and it's like a new computer. It's running 40-50 degrees cooler and the fans are barely working. Just thought I'd throw that out there....