MacBook analog audio out transmits only one channel instead of two.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jpm89, Jan 13, 2010.

1. jpm89 macrumors newbie

When I plug my MacBook into an external audio source via the headphone-jack using the red and white cables (do not know the technical name), I only receive sound out of one speaker. At first I thought one of my stereo speakers had blown out, but I plugged my computer into another stereo using another cord and it still only plays one speaker. Also, when I plug in any set of headphones I only still receive sound through one speaker (the left one). My computers speakers still work, and when nothing is plugged in it still says under the output type that it's Built-in Output. I also noticed that sometimes (but not every time) when I unplug something from the headphone jack that a red light flashes around two times, but it does not stay lit when there is nothing plugged in.

**Another note: The sound is not in mono in one speaker, it is just like one speaker is turned off.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The red and white plugs are called RCA connectors in English.

The red light is the optical audio output, which you can use to transfer audio in digital form to another device that supports optical in.

It seems that one connector inside the headphone/line-out jack is bust, as it only transmits one channel instead of two.

Also a more descriptive and precise thread title will help cater to the right audience and get you more responses.
    To edit your thread title, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the "Go Advanced" button below your message.

Example: MacBook analog audio out transmits only one channel instead of two / mono instead of stereo

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Do you still have warranty?

If so, go to the nearest Apple Store or call Apple or go to an authorized repair shop.