Macbook and 24" L.E.D. Display Good Combination?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by gr81mgbgt, Dec 18, 2008.

1. gr81mgbgt macrumors regular

Would the macbook and the 24" L.E.D. Display be worth it? You get both worlds, portability, and the 24" screen. Thoughts? Comments?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

If it's worth it to you, part of what you do, and you can afford it, who are we to decide for you?

3. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

If you got the money for the new display, go for it, it is one of the nicest displays I have seen, and matches the MacBook ever so perfectly.

4. manuel.mx macrumors member

I wont deny that the monitor is really nice looking, however most people agree that Apple Displays are way overpriced.

If you have the money and you are aware that other brand monitors are WAY much more cheaper, then go ahead. If I would have that money available to waste, I would get it. I didn't and i got a 25.5" Samsung Monitor T2650HD with tv tuner and hdmi inputs. I love it and it has a resolution of 1920x1200 which is the same as the Apple one and works great. sure it doesnt take up the sound from the mini display, but I have a better sound system anyways.

It is a nice monitor, and despite that I had the money I didnt get it as it was way too overpriced for its limited capabilities, at least for me and my use.

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

All other 24" LED H-IPS panels are $400 more. Plus camera, plus speakers, plus microphone.

The argument doesn't work anymore.

6. chessprodigy macrumors newbie

Absolutely the best possible combination you could have...the macbook goes wherever you want, but when at the desk with a keyboard and mouse, the new 24" display serves all your needs. It is perfect.

7. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

Is it really a waste then? I would say something like..." if you have that much money to spend ". I do not consider luxury items a waste :)

8. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

9. gr81mgbgt thread starter macrumors regular

Do you have to have the macbook open while its connected? Or can it be closed and off to the side?

10. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

You can use it in clamshell mode (closed) or open, both ways.

11. gr81mgbgt thread starter macrumors regular

This seems like the perfect combination, just a little expensive.

12. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

'Tis.

But ya ... if you got the cash, give 'er.

13. gr81mgbgt thread starter macrumors regular

Its would basically act like an imac. Plus portable.

14. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Both of the two options you mentioned in your initial post are costly... but you're right, you have mobility with the MB, and for me personally, mobility is a must have..

15. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

To reiterate what a few people have already said, the monitor is not THAT expensive given the technology behind it. Other monitors with a similar panel usually cost quite a bit more.

That said, dropping $1,000 CAD on a monitor is not easy on the wallet. Personally, I would wait until Macworld to see if any additional monitors are being released. You never know, Apple may release a 20" version that's a bit cheaper (fingers crossed). I'm looking for an external monitor and the LED Cinema Display has caught my eye as well, but I'll probably wait until the end of summer before I make my decision. This way, I'll know if there are any known issues (e.g. notebook temperature) and I may actually have enough money to buy it.

Most importantly, if you're not in school yourself, find someone who is. The edu discount, in Canada, is $100.

16. gr81mgbgt thread starter macrumors regular

That's true, and for its additional features.