Macbook and 32" LCD TV

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pjrobertson, Nov 24, 2007.

1. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

Hi all,

I've searched around and can't find a solution to my problem :(

I recently bought a Macbook along with a mini-DVI to VGA adapter to plug it into my LCD TV (32PF5520D) but I just get a 'no input signal massage on the TV.
    I've tried the adapter with an old CRT screen and it works fine, and I've tried the cable with a Dell Monitor and that works fine.

Changing the resolution / refresh rate doesn't do anything, and I've also tried losing the Macbook lid and just using the external TV (incase the GMAX3100 couldn't support both)

Booting into Windows (boot camp) doesn't seem to work either, although the TV has worked with atleast 2 other Windows laptops (using the same cable)

What am I doing wrong?!

Any help would be appreciated :)

2. Kamikaze macrumors member

I had to go into the settings on my TV and change to out put to be compatible with the MB. I just clicked on all of my choices until it worked. Aquos 32".

3. pjrobertson thread starter macrumors 6502a

nope, still not working :(

I'm using a mini-DVI to VGA adapter from my Macbook, and then the TV has a VGA to DVI adapter fitted, could this be causing the problem - converting from mini-DVI to VGA to DVI?

I don't really want to buy another adapter (although they're only £15) as I'd mainly use only the VGA. Is it worth having a DVI adapter (and how much is a DVI cable?)

4. pjrobertson thread starter macrumors 6502a

- Yep, that would be the solution.

Just looked at the apple store, and loads of people have been complaining the the adapter only carries analogue, and you can't use another apapter on top of this.

I guess I'll have to by a DVI adapter then...