Macbook and aperture

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bmat, Jun 16, 2007.

1. bmat macrumors 6502

I've searched and found some vague answers, and a lot of speculation. But I'd like to hear some real world experience on the latest revision of a macbook with 2 gb of ram and aperture.

This is not my dedicated computer for photo editing, as I use a mac pro. But I want a laptop to replace my powerbook G4, but want decent/acceptable aperture ability if I need it.

Thanks in advance.

2. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

It's usable, but can get pretty slow. Especially when generating a lot of previews, working in full screen or even straightening. I moved to Lightroom as it works much smoother. I don't know how able you are to do this though, if you use Aperture on you main computer.

3. bmat thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah. I'm sort of stuck on aperture, and not really going to switch to lightroom. I've used bibble and Canon's DPP on my powerbook, and with large RAW files it's just a disaster.

If it takes 3-6 seconds for image to clear up on the macbook, that'd be fine. But if it's like 20-30 seconds, I don't know if it's worth it. Since I don't plan to do any photo editing on it, except in a pinch, I'd rather not spend the extra cash on a MBP.

4. Fuzzy Orange macrumors 6502

Fuzzy Orange

I am in the same hole as you... PS CS3 would run fine on a MB, but I am not sure about Aperture... Like you, I would do little to no Photo Editing in Aperture.

5. Igantius macrumors 65816

6. bmat thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the link. The video clips are quite encouraging. Particularly since that's aperture 1.1 and now the latest revision of macbook. I doubt I would be doing more than simple expsure/wb settings, and doing the rest in photoshop.