Macbook and Applecare OR MBP 15?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by efuggetta, Feb 26, 2009.

1. efuggetta macrumors newbie

I know everyone's seen a ton of these posts, but I can't make a decision based on them. What I really want to know is if I'll be happy with the Macbook. I know it's impossible for you to really know that, but I'm terrible at making my own decisions and need help.

I plan to buy one on eBay from a reputable seller. I can get a slightly used MBP (2.4) for $1700 and a sealed MB (2.4) for $1389.

The only graphics-intensive thing I use is Photoshop. I currently run it on a late 2006 Macbook (2.4/4/120), but I find myself wishing for a brighter screen and better color.

$1700 is my budget. SO, I can either get a brand new 2.4ghz MB and the three-year Applecare extension OR an open Macbook (period.)

Would it be smarter to get the MB and Applecare? Or is the MBP really going to show me enough of a difference to make it worth an extra $300 and no Applecare?

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Can't you buy the MBP now and buy AppleCare right before the 1 year mark (or however many months of AppleCare the seller has left on his used MBP)? The good thing about AppleCare is that you only need to buy it within 1 year of the original purchase date.

Also, have you checked the Refurb section of the Apple Store (online)?

3. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

fartheststar

Get the macbook pro - you'll be able to do much more with it -- once you get the computer you'll do more with it then what you bought it for.

As Abstract said: Get AppleCare in about a year (before the warranty is up), since you're getting it slightly used find out when that one year anniversary is. Get AppleCare off eBay and save yourself some money. You can get it for between $150-$170 in a year.

4. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I think the low-end MacBook Pro is amazing and is really a much nicer computer. The dual graphics are excellent. The display is much much nicer than the MacBook. It's only a pound heavier than the MB. The aluminum is much nicer than the older model MBP.

Has FireWire which may or may not matter now or in future. It has dedicated graphics memory which is much more capable for graphics and games.

It's very ready for Snow Leopard when it comes out in probably three months. It may even use the dual graphics together once Snow Leopard is released (don't know that for sure, but I think it's capable).

You can buy AppleCare within 12 months off eBay for around $150 for the MBP (around $100 for MB).

Last thing about MBP or MB, whichever route you go definitely upgrade the memory in either to 4 GB RAM. Costs around $70 from MacSales.com or NewEgg.com.

Also, there was a guy who bought from eBay and posted yesterday that the low end model from this seller was $1599, and the high end was $1999. And no tax and no shipping.

Unless you absolutely love the portability differences in the MacBook, I would say the MacBook Pro is a much nicer overall computer.

Best wishes whichever route you go.

5. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

My thoughts echo those of the others.

This shouldn't be an either/or decision. You may not have the cash in hand to pick up the MBP and the AppleCare now, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't grab AppleCare down the line. Unless the warranty on the MBP is about to expire (or will do so before you can buy the extension), you should go this route.

On portables, the extra cost of the warranty is worth the piece of mind. Try watching eBay for a good deal.

6. adm19842 macrumors newbie

I would go for the MBP if I were you. The screen is way better than the new MB - better color reproduction, way way better contrast ratios. The dedicated grapics card would make photoshop run a lot smoother. And I hear the speakers sound a lot nicer too.

And, hey, If your willing to spend about 30-40 bucks more, you could get a brand new MBP 2.4 from macmall. Just use the link on the www.appleinsider.com homepage.

7. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

As the screen seems to be your main concern then get the MBP and buy Applecare in a years time. The Macbook is a nice machine, but with the Pro's graphics card its simply superior for graphic design, gaming and quality of build, such as a better screen.

8. efuggetta thread starter macrumors newbie

Good advice. I went with the pro! I found a sealed one for $1715, so I'll have a year to get Applecare, which should be no problem. :)

9. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

just make sure its a reputable seller, with good feedback, a power seller would be ideal, and that the sales page on Ebay looks the same as all the other sellers sales pages, because sometimes people hack into sellers accounts and sell fake Apple things but the pages usually look obviously fake.

10. desiringGod macrumors regular

I would do something totally different:
    1. Buy the 2.0 MB Alum on the Refurb store $1099 + Tax (assuming 9%) = $1200
    2. Buy Applecare off Ebay $130
    3. Upgrade Ram to 4 GB from Crucial - $60
    4. Buy the Dell 22" Monitor $250

That leaves you with a grand total of:
    $1640

This still leaves you money for a case or hard drive or mouse, etc.

11. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

But then you have a 2.0 processor, no dual graphics cards, no backlit keyboard, a much much worse screen than the Macbook Pro, slower hard drive, poorer build quality, low resolution screen, smaller 13" screen....

12. desiringGod macrumors regular

But you have double the ram, $60 to buy a harddrive, and a large screen to work with at home.

If he is doing only Photoshop how is the dual graphics going to help?

13. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

2.0 vs 2.4 is negligible. The backlit keyboard is largely useless. The 9400M is plenty fast for Photoshop and the Dell 2209WA is a e-IPS panel which DESTROYS the MacBook Pro's.

The HDD and build quality are identical between the unibody MacBook and MacBook Pro.

14. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Hahahahaha funny man, funnnnny man.
    One word: Lightbleed. Pretty much sums up your magical 'identical build quality'

The MBP uses far far far superior components, just look at an iFixit.com disassembly photo-shoot, and they use different components from different manufacturers.

Photoshop since CS4 now uses the graphics card to perform calculations.
    Plus when Snow Leopard comes out with Open CL and Hybrid SLI and Hybrid SLY support, then the independent 9600 graphics cards will be able to take calculations off the processor so it works like having another processor inside the machine, and the graphics cards will be able to work together as one unit to nearly double your graphics/gaming performance.

Thats one of the most useful features of my Macbook Pro, i can use it in bed, on the train, anywhere with dim light without straining my eyes, i agree it isn't necessary but its still very very useful, and worth the extra money, im using it now just so i can type in the dim light of the winter sun outside and able to see the keyboard, i'd have to go inside without it.

15. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I wouldn't say the backlit kb is useless. Granted, it might not be a good or valid reason to go for the MBP, but it is kind of handy, particularly with the black keys.

I'm biased, since I got the 15". I wanted the larger screen and FW.

16. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

Photoshop on 13 inch? You would be crazy to do that. Get the Pro. You will not regret it.

17. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

I had the same decision as you did, just without the money restriction.
    In the end I went with the 2.4 MacBook Pro even though I really loved the portability of my old MacBook. But the 9600M together with the better screen was worth it for me, as this is my only computer. If I'd have some kind of a desktop at home (which I never could, due to my travels) I'd have gotten a MacBook.
    Also, I really love the backlit keyboard. I never thought it could be so useful until I had the chance to use it on a plane and at home in bed (and I can touch type pretty damn well, it just helps when you're typing with one hand or something. Now I really hope Apple could release a wireless keyboard with black keys and backlight :p

18. adm19842 macrumors newbie

Im torn between buying the MB and MBP myself. I plan to use the laptop i purchase for 3 -4 years, so the build and component quality are of prime importance to me.

In what respects are the components better on the pro?

Shouldn't the build quality be the same, since both the pro and the MB use the same unibody enclosure?

Thanks!

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Photoshop oh crappy 6-bit TN panel? Forget it, get a Thinkpad W700! :D

Seriously though, I use Photoshop on my MacBook all the time.

20. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Well that Thinkpad is double the thickness of the MBP and probably more than double the weight :p
    BTW, just wondering; are both your MacBook and MacBook Pro the current ones?