Macbook and Blu Ray

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by knight42, Mar 10, 2009.

1. knight42 macrumors newbie

I really want to watch some Blu Ray movies, and until Apple decide that its not a "bag of hurt" then were forced over to Windows.

Could someone give me some idea if this setup would work or not? Not sure the graphics or the connections would be up to this, but wanted to ask.

I have a 2.4 Black Macbook, if I brought an external Blu Ray drive which runs through USB2 and ran Windows through Boot Camp would the Blu Ray drive work?

And would it work over the DVI cable to my monitor? I dont think its HDCP compliant, so not sure if it would work.

Has anyone tried anything like this before? Thanks in advance if anyone can help before I go splash out on a drive!

2. uicandrew macrumors 6502a

maybe. i have an external bluray and it partially worked with the prev gen mac mini.

i talked about it in another thread a month or 2 ago. you can search for my previous posts for blu ray and/or mac mini

3. Inked macrumors regular

Don't think it would work over DVI without using a program such as anydvd to get past the HDCP issue

4. uicandrew macrumors 6502a

you're right. to play it on an external screen, you need anydvd to bypass hdcp.

5. iNash macrumors 6502

iNash

6. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

No, it doesn't.