Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mhuk01

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2006
South West England
is there a way to keep bluetooth (and even aiport) turned on when my macbook is asleep? this is so that I could sync the macbook with my pda via bluetooth even when it is sleeping.

Cheers

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
Yes, BT and AP will stay on during sleep, but iSync won't. I don't see why you wanna make it go to sleep. My 'book never sleeps except when it's off at night and when I carry it around. I just set the screen to sleep.;)

brandon6684

Dec 30, 2002
Josias said:
Yes, BT and AP will stay on during sleep, but iSync won't. I don't see why you wanna make it go to sleep. My 'book never sleeps except when it's off at night and when I carry it around. I just set the screen to sleep.;)

I know AirPort at least(don't BT) turns off when mine goes to sleep, otherwise that would defeat the whole purpose of sleep.

If you want it to stay on, there are hacks that will keep the computer awake when it's closed, and you can always set the screen to sleep quickly.

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
my airport disconnects from whatever wireless network it is connected to but the bluetooth stays connected. i don't know if this is standard, but i have the "allow bluetooth devices to wake from sleep" so i can just hit a key on my (bluetooth) keyboard and the computer will wake up. whether or not that works for a PDA, i'm unsure, but perhaps having that setting enabled keeps bluetooth running.

if you're going to use iSync, i don't think you'll be able to do this because that is an application and i'm pretty sure applications cannot run while the computer is sleeping.

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
No they won't.

AirPort is shut off. And Bluetooth, to most likely (although there is an option to let Bluetooth devices wake up sleeping Macs, just at the Ethernet post can).

Energy Saver: About sleep and idle modes in Mac OS X

Okay, AP turns off, but anyways, to the OP. No, unless you get some special software called sleepless, you aren't gonna be able to sync your PDA during sleep.

Just set the screen to sleep after 1 minute. I do.;)

mhuk01

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2006
South West England
Josias said:
Okay, AP turns off, but anyways, to the OP. No, unless you get some special software called sleepless, you aren't gonna be able to sync your PDA during sleep.

Just set the screen to sleep after 1 minute. I do.;)

so changing the subject slightly, can you keep airport on all the time, even when sleeping?

it's really annoying with msn, coz you come out of sleep mode and have to sign in again

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
mhuk01 said:
so changing the subject slightly, can you keep airport on all the time, even when sleeping?

it's really annoying with msn, coz you come out of sleep mode and have to sign in again

I don't think, unless you get that SleepLess thing.

Just don't close it. There is absolutely no reason to set it to sleep. It is just annoying as you said. Set the display to sleep instead.

GilGrissom

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2005
mhuk01 said:

I'm unsure what you hope to achieve from putting the machine to sleep and still do what you want. If you want all that stuff to still work when the machine is "asleep" then it technically won't be "asleep" will it? If you want those things running normally just leave your machine on, problem solved, no extra fancy software or anything!

If you're worried about wasted power then just set your Mac to reduced power setting, turn the screen off and tell the processor to go into reducedpower consumption mode. Just click on your battery icon in your menu bar and select better battery.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
When a Mac is in sleep mode, everything is turned off, and it only uses just enough power to keep everything stored in RAM. There's no way to sync while it's in sleep, because then it wouldn't be sleep, and everything would be powered on and running

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.