MacBook and charging iPhone/iPad

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Drew888, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Drew888 macrumors 6502a

Drew888

Hi All:

I have been wanting the (now somewhat new) 12" MacBook. I know it only has the single USB-C port. Has anyone been successful at charging their iPhones and/or iPads on it.

I am guessing that it is not possible since I think the machine must be attached to power in order to charge other devices.

Any current users that know or have found a way, please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

2. Grothesk macrumors newbie

actually the macbook is charging my iPhone totally fine without being attached to power. it takes away about 20 % charge from the mac to charge it. still a hub is not a bad idea and always handy.

3. kfscoll macrumors 65816

kfscoll

Use an Apple USB-C Multiport Adapter. As I type this I have the adapter connected to my rMB, my iPhone 6 connected to the adapter, an HDMI-to-TV adapter connected to the adapter, and a USB-C charging cable connected to the adapter, and both my computer and phone are charging fine.

Having said that, I've read that the multiport adapter won't charge an iPhone 6+ properly, but I have no personal experience with that.

4. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

My only major gripe with the multiport adapter is that it won't charge anything connected to the usb-a port unless the usb-c port is connected to the Macbook. There have been a number of times I'd like to leave something connected and charging even when I am using the Macbook somewhere else.