MacBook and charging iPhone/iPad

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Drew888, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Drew888 macrumors 6502a

Apr 14, 2013
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hi All:

I have been wanting the (now somewhat new) 12" MacBook. I know it only has the single USB-C port. Has anyone been successful at charging their iPhones and/or iPads on it.

I am guessing that it is not possible since I think the machine must be attached to power in order to charge other devices.

Any current users that know or have found a way, please let me know.

Thanks in advance!
  2. Grothesk macrumors newbie

Apr 7, 2015
    actually the macbook is charging my iPhone totally fine without being attached to power. it takes away about 20 % charge from the mac to charge it. still a hub is not a bad idea and always handy.
  3. kfscoll macrumors 65816

Nov 3, 2009
    Use an Apple USB-C Multiport Adapter. As I type this I have the adapter connected to my rMB, my iPhone 6 connected to the adapter, an HDMI-to-TV adapter connected to the adapter, and a USB-C charging cable connected to the adapter, and both my computer and phone are charging fine.

Having said that, I've read that the multiport adapter won't charge an iPhone 6+ properly, but I have no personal experience with that.
  4. zhenya macrumors 603

Jan 6, 2005
    My only major gripe with the multiport adapter is that it won't charge anything connected to the usb-a port unless the usb-c port is connected to the Macbook. There have been a number of times I'd like to leave something connected and charging even when I am using the Macbook somewhere else.