macbook and cinema display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by davekcj, May 20, 2007.

1. davekcj macrumors newbie

I'm a longtime PC user looking to make the switch. I'm looking at the mid-range MacBook (the better white one), which suits my portability needs, and thinking about getting a 20-inch cinema display to get a more reasonable amount of screen space when I'm at home.

I guess my question is, can the MacBook handle running the display? I've heard that the 64MB of shared VRAM might not be up to the job of running a display that big? What if I get it with 2GB of RAM, could that make up for the lower VRAM?

Anyone with a similar setup (or just generally knowledgeable about this stuff), I'd appreciate your advice, thanks.

2. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

i have a macbook (core duo blackbook) and a 20" acd. it drives the acd perfectly with no issues in extended desktop mode. i use the solar winds screensaver and never see any lag/jerkiness. i recently upgraded to 2gb of ram from 1gb, but haven't noticed any major difference in the graphics performance.

3. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i have a c2d macbook and a 20" cinema display. everything works and handles just fine, but things like dashboard and exposé run more smoothly and seemlessly without the external monitor (fewer pixels to drive). still, i wouldn't trade my setup for another system. i love my macbook, and so will you.

4. munckee macrumors 65816

5. chex macrumors regular

It'll handle it fine, only thing is, I wouldnt buy a cinema display, it is way overpriced. If yuo want a nice 20" + monitor get the Samsung SM206BW or SM226BW.

The LCD panel in the Apple is probably from Samsung anyway, or possibly LG.