Macbook and college?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by solaris7, Apr 16, 2008.

1. solaris7 macrumors regular

After reading the forums I get the feeling that the macbooks do not seem to be very durable, with the frequent cracks and stuff. Why then does apple usually advertise it as the notebook for students, if it really doesn't last for the full 4 years.:confused:

2. Slothapotamus macrumors member

This is probably the main reason why Apple are redesigning the MacBook with new aluminium cases (or aluminum for you yanks) later this year. (The MacBook Pro's already have aluminium cases and therefore don't suffer this problem).

I'm not sure yet if the newer Penryn MacBook's have the cracking problem. But the older MacBooks do tend to crack after a while in most cases. But Apple will fix it even if you're out of warranty.

I'd wait until the newer aluminium cased MacBooks come out though.

3. macgruder macrumors 6502

Because advertising involves making your products look good perhaps. Or we would have:

Marlboro: doesn't make you look like a cowboy. it kills you.
    Mercedes: not as reliable as a Toyota and a lot more expensive
    Atkins: wont help you loose weight but makes you smell
    Windows: you'll lose everything when you get a virus
    Bush (2000,2004): I'm a stupid ex-alcoholic loser relying on daddy's money and connections and I'll lie through my teeth because the press have no balls exactly when they need it

4. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Because:

1. While many people have had this problem, the majority have not.
    2. Apple has acknowledged that this problem is a defect in materials and will replace the case for free (usually in less than an hour).
    3. The majority of people who have had their cases replaced don't have the problem again.

and, primarily because

4. if you want a Mac and a laptop, the Macbook is the best value for a student.

However, if you want to buy a Macbook Pro Apple will not object.

5. TheStu macrumors 65816

Exactly that. Anyone that has an Aluminum Mac knows that although it doesn't crack, it does dent and scratch like it is it's job.

My MacBook has some cracks in it, and is 1.5 years old. Honestly I don't even notice them, and the thing is still very solid feeling and will continue to hold up and take punishment from me for the next few years. Thus far I have
    Dropped it
    Had it in the front seat of my car and had to slam on the brakes, it went flying forward into the dash
    Thrown it about 2-3 feet into the air, and it then slammed back down onto my desk
    Tossed it repeatedly
    Knocked it against things
    Practically used it as a backstop for thrown projectiles (nice little dent where my friend hit it with his old ipod)
    Had it fall off a desk chair, falling from the seat to the floor

It still runs as well as the day I got it, and has exhibited no hardware issues except for a bum sleep light (I kind of miss it, it is like it is breathing) and on occasion my Bluetooth cuts out. That's it, those are my hardware issues after having treated my MacBook like crap. So, don't worry too much, the MacBook is great for college. Much better than the MacBook Pro if for no other reasons than that it is half as much money and won't dent when you look at it sideways.

6. khunsanook macrumors 6502

khunsanook

As has been said before, remember that forums are like hospital wards.

My Rev A MacBook is coming up on 2 years without any cracks. It has commuted with me for thousands of kilometers through urban Thailand on a motorbike and has endured a few full-on wipe-outs. I wouldn't worry about durability.

7. aquajet macrumors 68020

I couldn't imagine being so careless with such an expensive piece of equipment.

Did you buy your MacBook with your own money, or did somebody else buy it for you?

8. TheStu macrumors 65816

I bought it with my own money, and it was babied for about the first six weeks before the first drop happened (when I had to slam on the brakes in my car). After that I became decreasingly cautious with it since I began to notice how much abuse it would take. Honestly, with the exception of the time that I flipped it 2-3 feet in the air when I was incredibly pissed off, I have never been flippantly careless with it. Most of the other incidents were accidents, pure and simple.

However, the expensive comment is a little misleading (for lack of a better word) since the Toughbook is rather not inexpensive and that is decided to be treated carelessly.

9. krye macrumors 68000

krye

They are awesome machines, and very durable. Some people just don't take proper care of their stuff. Believe me, I've had my MacBook for 2 years and I use it everyday. It looks like the day I got it, less the surface scratches that plague acrylic. It's no cheap toy. $1000 bucks is a $1000 bucks. If you take care of it, it will last you many years.

10. asme macrumors regular

An M1330 running Ubuntu is more durable, runs cooler, and has an Ubuntu Linux 7.10 option. An LED-backlighted screen is also an option.

Although it started out as a way-too-expensive MacBook clone, Dell has progressively lowered prices while adding additional features over the past year such that the M1330 is now a far better choice than a MacBook.

See here.

11. zirkle2007 macrumors 6502

zirkle2007

Its running Ubuntu though. While Linux is catching up, its still far from an everyday OS choice for most people. Also, what if they are looking at a Mac because they want to use OS X? Legally.

12. asme macrumors regular

It's a trade-off between durability and ease of use of the operating system. While I really hate my Macbook's hardware (bringing it in today for a replacement), OSX (10.4 at least) is a rock-solid, stable, secure operating system. I can't have both good quality hardware and a good OS unless I were some Linux-customizing shut-in whose only idea of what the term "light of day" is when it happens in WoW (Running in Cedega, of course).

If I were a college student I'd inch toward durability, lest I wanted to play the "compatibility hell" game trying to install osx86 on a Thinkpad.

13. Soma 115 macrumors regular

Couldn't agree more...especially on that bush one :mad:

14. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

ive only had my new MB for more than a week but im trying not to worry bout cracks and stuff though i am also very paranoid about keepin my things perfect. I absolutely love my macbook...highly recommended (dont get more memory unless you need it!)