Macbook and Dell 24" HDTV

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by The Samurai, Oct 28, 2008.

1. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

Alright people

I've just set up my new 24" lcd tv and hooked it up to my Macbook using the DVI (see unboxing and setup video here).

Does anyone know what settings I should be using with the monitor. I would ideally like to close the Macbook lid and use the monitor solely. Whenever I try to do it, the computer goes into sleep mode. What should I do?

All comments/suggestions welcome.

2. dnguyen macrumors regular

I just learned this today....but while your monitor connected and you close your lid, put your mb to sleep by closing it.

after it's asleep, wake it by using an externally connected mouse and only your external display should be awake. after this is done, you can open your macbook screen again, and it will stay off.

I don't know if this is the only way to achieve this, but if there's another way someone let us know!

3. The Samurai thread starter macrumors 68000

The Samurai

4. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

5. MacBook08 macrumors regular

Works great. However I cannot emphasize enough the importance of opening the screen after you put it to sleep. If you leave it closed, the MacBook gets extremely hot (the air vent will be blocked, of course). For me, this is the only flaw of the new MacBook.

6. The Samurai thread starter macrumors 68000

The Samurai

Dell had it on for £170 two weeks ago or so. I think its up to £199 inc vat and delivery now. Still a fab buy though

7. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

Thw fanboy in me still would rather pay 3 time more for apples version :( but i dont have a desk and i just use my macbook on my couch atm so ill get nothing :p

8. Gordy macrumors 6502a

I'm sorry but that's completely wrong. All mac's vent heat out from the hinge area. They are designed to work with the lid closed. Some iBooks from many moons ago had problems working with a closed lid. All modern macs with intel chips work fine with the lid closed.

9. Sike macrumors newbie

Have you seen this review?

What is your opinion? Macbook + S2409 seem not to be a good option.

10. MacBook08 macrumors regular

Ok. I guess I was just a little concerned about how hot my Aluminum MacBook had gotten after using it closed for a few minutes. I guess I'm still used to PC laptops and their huge side vents. I'll take your word for it then.

11. Cockroach macrumors 6502

You can also wake it up with the remote (if you have one).

12. The Samurai thread starter macrumors 68000

The Samurai

To be honest, I think the screen is great. Obviously, it won't be suited to everyone i.e graphic designers etc cause they will always moan.

I just wanted a bigger screen, quality screen and for £170 - you really can't go wrong. Plus, thats just one review - people have written good things about it too.

13. wallstreetcrash macrumors regular

Anyone got a calibrated profile for this monitor?

Thanks!

14. fatefulwhisper macrumors regular

Yes there is a way with 3rd party software; one called "InsomniaX" will do the trick: http://semaja2.net/insomniaxinfo/

Once you initiate the software, you can then close the lid and it will not goto sleep.

15. skillz1318 macrumors regular

i just got the s2409 for my macbook pro and this monitor looks great right out of the box running full 1080p.

Also playing gears of war 2 via HDMI looks amazing.