Macbook and Engineering

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by beach89, Mar 26, 2008.

1. beach89 macrumors newbie

I"m starting in college in late September, so I don't have to buy a laptop for a while, but I was wondering if a macbook was ok for engineering. I'm going to OSU, and their first year engineering program has all students using Autodesk Inventor Pro and Matlab. The minimum requirements they give are:
    The macbook has all of those requirements, but it barely passes on the video card. Is it usable for engineering? Since I have to wait an extra six months, would the next update(monteniva+GMA X4500) be significantly better?

2. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

You might do better with a MBPro instead, the screen is 13inches on a MB. Can you possibly contact the University and inquire with them?

3. beach89 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll probably learn a bit more at orientation. I'm buying an external monitor anyway, so the screen size doesn't bother me. I'd rather not have to spend so much extra on a MBP, since I don't play any games or really do anything other than school work that would require the extra $.

4. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

Got you. Actually, I like my MB better then my MBP which I just gave to my partner.

5. beach89 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I like the size of a macbook better. Plus I can get a $200 off an ipod with a new MB during the summer, but if I had to get a MBP, then I would have to get it refurb and I couldn't get the ipod discount.