MacBook and External Drive..:[

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by krewelement394, Feb 8, 2009.

1. krewelement394 macrumors regular

krewelement394

Hello everyone,

i am having an annoying problem with my stupid external drive!

my external hard drive is called "My Book" and here is the link to one of them http://news.cnet.com/i/bto/20080618/WD_My_Book_Mirror.jpg

anywho it is connected via USB and to my windows computer (desktop, windows XP) i have it shared using airport express, and i have all my music and picture files there, so i wont have to have all that GB on my macbook, anywho i love using iPhoto but it has been getting annoying because every time i want to use a photo i go to iPhoto and i open up the photo i want to use and it says it cant be found and this message box comes up "A VOLUME FAILED TO MOUNT :the volume "My Book (D)" could not be Mount"...

and so what i do is just delete the theme where the photo is at (b.c if there is one photo in that theme that can't be found it is usually all of them) so i delete the theme and import the whole folder....it is getting annoying..!

what should i do?

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Regarding accessing your photos from you iPhoto library, try this..
    (no iPhoto application required)

1. Highlight and right click on the iPhone file and choose Show Package Content, a new window will open.

[​IMG]

2. Browse it's content to Originals and click through the date folder, eventually it'll reveal the original uploaded files.

[​IMG]

Hope this helps..

P.S. MacOS can read the drive regardless of it being FAT32 or NTFS. There's no need to connect it to the PC, unless you plan on writing to the unit. In which case, your restricted to righting to a FAT32 partition only, as OSX can only read from NTFS.

3. krewelement394 thread starter macrumors regular

krewelement394

well i can access the photos with out using the iPhoto application, all i do is just click on the My Book hardrive that's already a shortcut on my finder, but that's not what i am having trouble with, i am having trouble with iPhoto always telling me that the file can't be found! the external drive is set to share and it is plugged to my WIndows machine, i can access it using my macbook write and red files on it, when i shut down my windows pc the external drive also shuts down, so nothing is accesable during the time it is shut down, i am aware of that but when it is back on only some things are readable by iphoto...! some items say they cant be found "cant be mounted from drive D" which is the external drive

4. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Hmm.. I don't think the drive being set to 'share' would help the iPhoto application. Maybe it's be a matter of disposing the existing preferences stored on your local drive. Since iPhoto expect the users to be storing it's photos in the local Pictures folder, located in the home directory, not some remote drive connected to a remote system via a network. It might be the reason why your experiencing problems and issues.

5. krewelement394 thread starter macrumors regular

krewelement394

awwww :(

what if i connect the external drive to my macbook instead of my windows..!? will that help? but then how can i make my external drive be shared with my windows computer? b.c i tried sharing my mac photo folder so i can also access them on my windows comp. but it doesnt work!?

6. seb-opp macrumors 6502

you can plug it into your macbook, activate windows sharing and access the drive from your pc.

Im guessing you would prefer to access the external from your macbook wirelessly though. I am a bit confused from your original post, you say your external drive is connected to your PC with USB, but also shared with an airport express?? Not being patronising, but are you mixing up airport (as in WiFi) with <a href="http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/">apple airport express</a>

If you do have an airport express, you could access the drive from your macbook and PC wirelessly

7. krewelement394 thread starter macrumors regular

krewelement394

i know what an airport express i s:] it is an apple wireless router:D yes i use it to print wireless and also to listen to itunes using other speakers...:] but anywho as of today i am able to access the external drive using the network!:] the externnal drive is a usb drive cable thing not fireport...:/ but anwyho it is hooked up to my XP machine and i wanted to know if i can hook it up to my macbook and the problem will go away!? but at the same time i want the drive to be shared with my windows machine...! i tried sharing a file just 2 make sure it would work but i can't access it on m windows...! and yes i do have windows sharing on!