MacBook and External LaCie Drive Sleep Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by hexonxonx, Mar 19, 2012.

1. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I have a four year old LaCie two big triple drive that has been great for about four years. I did replace the two seagate drives that came installed with two 1TB WD drives.

The problem is that something inside of the LaCie drive has begun to fail and is not helped by the fact that my 2010 MB sleeps the drives when the MB sleeps. The fans and drives power down as is normal with most Macs over the past few years.

The problem arises when I wake the MB and the drive tries to wake the drives. Maybe it's the controller but it takes up to an hour for the drives to appear in finder again because of the enclosure starting to go bad. I've verified that it is not the drive by placing other drives in there and the problem still occurs.

When I hook up the drive in my Black 2008 MB using Firewire, the problem does not happen because the MB does not have the ability to sleep the drives when the computer sleeps.

Is there any way that I can prevent the enclosure from sleeping when my 2010 MB sleeps? Sure I can buy a new enclosure but that is not an option yet.

Thanks for any help!

2. reubenroyapple macrumors newbie

There is an option in energy save in the system preferances 'pane' Uncheck the 'spin down drives when possible' button, and see if this works, i have absolutley no idea if it will, but its worth a shot.

3. hexonxonx thread starter macrumors 601

It's not a sleep problem that a setting could fix. It had something to do with the controller inside the enclosure going bad. I had better luck using the firewire port then the USB port but the entire enclosure failed this week. This was the LaCie two big triple, was an excellent enclosure while it lasted. I see that LaCie is still using the enclosure for it's new Thunderbolt drives.

Attached Files: