Macbook and iMac can't connect to each other

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lmorum, Aug 17, 2010.

1. lmorum macrumors newbie

Please could someone help this is so frustrating!

I have a Macbook Pro, and an iMac both on the same network - both with wireless connections to a Linksys wireless router. On each computer, I see the other one in Finder under the "Shared" category on the LHS of finder. However, when I try and connect to the computer, I get "Connection failed - the server Mac 24 Home may not exist or it is unavailable at this time Check the server ip ... etc. etc.

This means that I cannot print from my Macbook Pro to the printer that's attached to the iMac. If I reboot the iMac, my Macbook can print to its printer for a while - and then eventually after 20 minutes or so it cannot print anymore - and cannot connect to any shared folders on the iMac.

The computers are both awake - not suspended and both with virtually no CPU usage. I don't have any type of firewall running on either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

UPDATE

I've done a bit of troubleshooting - what I have found is that after about 20 minutes, my iMac loses all network connectivity. Even though the wireless signal is full strengh (yes, connected wirelessly), I cannot browse anything - cannot even ping the ip address of the router it is wirelessly connected to! I find that if I then switch off the wireless connection, then connect again to the network - then all is well again for about 15 or 20 minutes or so, until I have to repeat the whole thing again.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Try disabling the firewall. This sounds a problem with your network rather than a problem with your Macs

3. lmorum thread starter macrumors newbie

There is no firewall running on either computer.

4. UpQuark macrumors member

UpQuark

Check the power settings on the iMac. It might go to sleep and then loose connectivity. Also, set up the network on the iMac with a static IP address - everything else can be DHCP (so, " USING DHCP WITH MANUAL ADDRESS")

Let us know...

5. powerbooks macrumors regular

Problem with one particular iMac in a network

I want to report a similar problem, but just involving one particular iMac (2008 Al 24").

On my home network (Apple Airport Extreme and Express extensions, about five Macs and couple of iDevices), all other Macs can see and connect to each other as well as printing to the networked Brother printer with no problem.

However, on one particular iMac, I can see all other Macs, can set Brother printer as default with green dot next to it in Print Preference Pane, but I can not connect to other macs, nor print to the printer. Meanwhile, the iMac can get on the internet without any problem.

It used to work flawlessly, and I first noticed the problem because I could not print, getting a message the printer can not be found (and the dots turn yellow for a while then went back to normal green). Then, I found neither the iMac, nor other macs on the net work can connect to each other, even though I can see all of them in Finder.

I opened Apple Remote Network on my own mac, and I can see all other macs, but this iMac's status showed not online. As a results, no other macs can connect to the iMac, either. There seems to have a problem with the intranet only, not internet.

One more thing, about a month ago, the iMac popped out a warning about network name, saying the old name was in use (conflict) in the network, so I have to change it. Not sure if this is related to the intranet problem.

Reboot and repaired permission several times, no change. Hate to reinstall everything. Any help would be greatly appreciated.