Macbook and iMac vs. MBP and ACD

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by shipdestroyer, Jul 6, 2007.

1. shipdestroyer macrumors 6502

I've saved and have been waiting for the iMac revisions so (so so so) patiently, but I've recently had a chance to borrow a veteran G5 iMac (ex-Apple Store point-of-sale!) and give 'er a test run. And, well... I'm not so keen on having two computers anymore. For one, it's excessive, and syncing via network, firewire (with or without automation) just seems like a headache.

My other concern is the relative inability to play a game every now and then. Theoretically, I could do it on a CD Macbook, but I wouldn't enjoy it very much. I don't currently play any games, and the only ones I'm looking forward to seem to be years away (Starcraft 2). I'm craving a new Mac.. this one's over a year old! :p

Before I borrowed the iMac, my Macbook plugged into a 20" monitor provided some hot pseudo-iMac action, but I became increasingly annoyed with the integrated graphics' sluggishness when pushing windows around the screen.

So it comes down to three options:
    1.) Get a cool, next-revision iMac and deal with two computers.
    2.) Sell Macbook, get a MBP and ACD. Or perhaps at 17" with HD screen.
    3.) Save my money.

3 makes the most sense, but ugh! Money burning a hole, you know. :eek:

2. LiquidSpikes macrumors regular

LiquidSpikes

Well I will let you know how I like my MBP..when I get it

I am getting the new MBP, simply because of starcraft 2 and I don't want to play it on vista :p
    I will let you know how well it games :D! the Geforce 8600GT should be sweet!

3. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

Personally, I would wait till august, to see if new iMacs come out, then make your decision based on them.

4. seany916 macrumors 6502

MBP. Sell the Macbook.

Should've gotten the MBP in the first place.

2 mediocre computers are not worth 1 blazing fast computer replaced earlier by 1 year.

5. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Agreed. The mbps are amazing:D

6. shipdestroyer thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm assuming the iMac revisions would bump them up to at least MBP level, but yeah, that's still two computers. I guess I need to start advertising my Macbook :p

7. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I think the iMac & Mac Book might be a good option. Desktops are nice, more reliable, etc. Plus if one machine had an issue, you'd still have one.

I've lived my life both ways, and I think I prefer the two computer option maybe, especially since I find that I don't use the notebook that often.

8. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

I have a G5 tower, and a MBP. the G5 just turned 4, and the MBP just turned 1.

It's a pain to keep them synced, but takes care of backing up stuff. And its real nice to have a nice powerful machine, and a respectful mobile. (yes the G5 is more powerful than the MBP, its got more memory and a 7800gt in it)

9. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

I'm in the same position. I've even gone to the effort of putting my Macbook up for sale on several sites in order to fund an MBP. Someone was supposed to come round last night to buy it off me.

However, he pulled out and now I'm kinda glad. Perhaps I've just developed some stupid emotional attachment to my Macbook because it was my first Mac :eek: . But I think now I'm gonna wait and see if the updated iMac is something really special first. Or I might just soup up my Macbook with a bigger hard drive (it already has 2GB RAM).

I just feel kinda stupid upgrading a laptop after I've only had it for a year. Something tells me I should wait until I can really tell the difference.