MacBook and iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ashmarie73, Mar 17, 2008.

1. ashmarie73 macrumors member

ashmarie73

So I want to make the switch. I REALLY want an iMac and a MacBook. I am trying to wait for the update for the iMac before I get one but I am trying to figure out the best configuration to have both.

I have been looking at the white MacBook for a few months now. I need something that will be better then my current Dell POS.
    Current configuration:
    • Dell XPS M1210
    • Windows XP
    • 2 GB Ram
    • T7200 @ 2.0 ghz
    • 100 GB

I want to have the desktop and laptop sync and have the time machine for backup purposes ( Ive had alot of bad luck in the backing up documentation area)

Please help me figure out what would be the best configuration for the total package. FYI - graduating from undergrad in June then going on to Business School for an MBA/Masters and also working. I need to ability to be mobile and the discipline of sitting at the desk when at home (hence the desktop).

THANKS!! :p

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

OK, I recommend .Mac for the syncing, and the base MB, as its unlikely you'll need to burn DVDs much when away from your iMac. What iMac you get depends on what you want to do with it.

3. lasuther macrumors 6502a

Get a middle MacBook at $1199 student price. Get Apple Care and upgrade to 4gigs of RAM through aftermarket when you have money.

Get a Time Capsule for your back ups.

Wait for a iMac and hope there is a 30" for you.

4. ashmarie73 thread starter macrumors member

ashmarie73

would u suggest upgrading the hard drive?

5. ashmarie73 thread starter macrumors member

ashmarie73

im not doing rocket science on this computer. Just need it to be reliable, fast, and not so many problems. Pretty much the central hub for my computing needs.

I do have: Apple TV (160 gb) , Pink iPod Nano, iPhone (8gb), and an iPod Classic (80 gb)