MacBook and iPad Hybride

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Cyborg21, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Cyborg21 macrumors 6502

Cyborg21

I heard that Apple is going to make a 12-13 inch iPad that runs OS X and iOS in 2014. Is it true?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Where did you hear that? Please cite your sources.

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I've read reports of a 12" MacBook Air, but not a hybrid.

4. triptolemus macrumors 6502

triptolemus

5. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Yes, it's true. Apple will run the first ad during the Falcons-Redskins NFC Championship Game in January. Can't wait. :D

6. deeddawg macrumors 604

and it'll be "wah-fa thin" like a mint, provide a full Adobe RGB color space, and the base storage will be 128GB

7. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

And 2GB of RAM. Don't forget that! :rolleyes:

8. Cyborg21 thread starter macrumors 6502

Cyborg21

Oh, 2 gb ram sounds interesting. But what will happen to MacBooks (especially MacBook Air)

9. deeddawg macrumors 604

Indeed!

Where *did* that little tempest in a teacup go to anyway? :confused:

10. Cyborg21 thread starter macrumors 6502

Cyborg21

11. deeddawg macrumors 604

12. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Way to not even read your own link Scoop. The word hybrid appears nowhere. You assumed hybrid because they showed an iPad with a keyboard case.

F-

13. darngooddesign macrumors G3

They probably misplaced their photo of the hybrid.

14. Cyborg21 thread starter macrumors 6502

Cyborg21

No I'm not trying to tell that. I can't speak english so well so I can't tell you what I really mean :D I wanted say something like, will it be a hybride. I hate my english abilities :mad: Maybe it's time to go somewhere that I can learn speak english beacuse I learnt english from TV shows and games :p :D

15. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

They will be eliminated. Why would they need them anymore?:rolleyes:

16. Cyborg21 thread starter macrumors 6502

Cyborg21

It's sad :( Beacuse I was planning to get a MacBook Pro. And I don't think a tablet can replace a desktop computer beacuse it's not same :( A tablet is like a secondary computer but there must be a main computer. I hope MacBooks won't get eliminated :(

17. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

MBs are not going anywhere. We are years away from the morphing of laptops and tablets. However, I disagree that a tablet can't replace a traditional computer for those that only do basic tasks like email, simple photo editing and curation, web browsing, and even light video editing. Most consumers do not need the power of a computer. It's much more of a business device, and even business are adopting iPads for laptops for sales people now.

18. Cyborg21 thread starter macrumors 6502

Cyborg21

Yeah, for most people it can replace main computer but I think Macs are the center of Apple ecosystem. iPad still don't have important ports such as USB port. Maybe Apple can do something like, an iPad thunderbolt display. imagine it, an iPad that runs iOS then you connect it to a thunderbolt port and it runs OS X! And have more ports. But it would destroy MacBooks. Technology changes so fast now! Anyway we will see what will happen in March. I can't wait :D

19. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

No. Macs were the center of the Apple ecosystem. Then Apple allowed PCs to sync with iPods and subsequent iDevices. Then Apple didn't require a Mac or PC at all to sync and backup an iDevice, just and iCloud account. Macs account for 14% of all Apple revenue. iDevices and the iTunes App store (not Mac app store) account for 80%. So it's very clear that iOS and iCloud is the center of Apple's revenue stream and ecosystem.

20. Cyborg21 thread starter macrumors 6502

Cyborg21

Anyway, Do you think that I should get a MacBook? My computer is 5 years old and it is really slow. I considered buying a Mac but I am confused now :confused:

21. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

What do you use your macbook for? Your use should dictate what device you should get.

MacBook Airs are more portable, but Macbook Pros have a bigger gamut. So if you are a photographer doing work on your laptop screen, a MBP may be better. Although if I were a photographer I'd probably use an external display.

How important is portability for you? What kinds of programs do you need to run? Give us a little more information of how you plan to use your computer and we will be glad to give you opinion. We are full of those.

22. Cyborg21 thread starter macrumors 6502

Cyborg21

I use my computer for browsing web, sometimes editing photos (I am not a professional), playing some computer games such as minecraft, league of legends and sims 3 (I have all expension packs of Sims), doing school projects etc. I use my computer for most of the day and usually there are lots of tab on my desktop. I am using PC now and windows gets bloated when there are lots of tabs open, so I have to restart it (I can't even close them, beacuse they freeze). I need to move my computer to another room. I rarely go outside with my computer. So I need something that is portable but I don't need something ultra-portable. I considered buying MacBook Air but I think it's screen is too small, I always worked with 17'' displays so even 15'' looks a little bit small to me. Also retina screen is very beautiful. I heard that MacBook Air heats too much sometimes. I have cons for MacBook Pro too. MacBook Pro is more expensive and... Umm... I think this is only downside of MacBook Pro to me. I never considered getting an iPad as a main computer beacuse, iPad has same problems. Like, I can't open 2 tabs at the same time on iPad and I think I need a mouse. Also lack of flash is an issue too, there are some browsers that supports flash (like Puffin and Photon) but they are too laggy. So I don't know which to buy :(

23. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

In your case, I would recommend an iMac and and iPad. Not sure what your budget is, but I think you would benefit from having a desktop at home to do most of your tasks, and an iPad to be portable and do some tasks on the go.

The iMac gives you the bigger, nicer screen and performance, and the iPad gives you the portability. I have a MacBook Air and an iPad (two iPads actually), but I also have a Thunderbolt display for when I need a bigger screen. I found the performance of the i7 2013 MBA to be excellent for the apps and games I run. Truth be told I don't NEED an MBA, as I don't take it out at all. When I am out and about, all I need is access to email, a browser, and maybe maps. The iPad rMini is PERFECT for that. When I get home, I could make do with an iMac, but I had already bough an MBA (I am a former Windows users and have a dozen PCs around the house, newest one being 5 years old), and I am running Parallels on my MBA so I can run Windows on it.

There is no "perfect" answer. Different combinations will give you similar results. But if you do not take your laptop out a lot and you dont need that flexibility, a desktop may be a better choice. What is your budget?

24. old-wiz macrumors G3

Nope. osx needs a minimum of 8 gb to really work.

25. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

OS X runs very well for me with 4GB RAM, always has.