Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2006
With the student discount I can get the new macbook and iphone (my contract with verizon will expire soon) for the same price as the lower end new macbook pro.

I'm a college student and i believe the macbook will suffice for my needs. However, the macbook pro is sick. Though im not into video editing and I don't game alot,its so tempting to get the upgraded macbook pro.

Do you think the macbook pro is defintely worth it?

brandon6684

Dec 30, 2002
I'd say it depends on if you really want an iPhone or not. If you're not gaming and stuff, the video card of the MBP really won't make a big difference and the MacBooks are quite nice, I love mine. But if you want the bigger screen and higher specs and don't really need an iPhone I'd just go for the pro.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
After I got my MacBook Pro, I'll never go back to an iBook/MacBook again. It's a lot nicer than the consumer level notebook computers IMO, although I guess it all depends on how much you want the iPhone.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Get the MBP if you want to truly be happy with your laptop. It's not just the specs, it's the build quality on those things. The MacBooks (the black ones anyway, I can't speak for the white ones because I didn't own one) has a shoddy build. It looks nice at first, but they get blemished, scratched and dirty sooo easy... and the dirt isn't the kind that wipes off. The keyboard and trackpad wears away so easily, and the casing slowly comes apart at the seams. It didn't fall off or anything but if you press on it, it squeaks and you can feel it bending in. And I'm not saying you have to press hard at all.

And the glossy screen! People have different opinions on those, but I hate them. I hate them because I watch DVDs on the laptop often (yes, it's ironic how the glossy screens are advertised to be good for movie viewing... let me tell you, it's not). The viewing angles is horrible, and especially on dark scenes on DVDs you can see the weak viewing angle so obviously it's not funny. Move your head and the colors morph so! A matte screen has none of that. I know it's because of the gloss, because I used to own an old G3 (not G4) iBook, and DVDs look better on that thing than the MacBook.

Sorry for the rant, just wanted to warn you away from the MacBooks, unless you're really tight on cash or really, really want the iPhone.

Speaking of the iPhone, I would watch the boards for a bit after it's release. It's rev. A after all...

What

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2006
dilemma

Here's what gets me. The new macbookpro just got the santa rose update, led screen, turbo memoery (although the difference may not be noticible) and the ram can be upgraded to 4gb.

it sounds like it will last longer technology and durability wise.

the macbook seems awesome. Everyone except maybe a few seem to love it.
I guess another issue is portability. is it a big hassle to carry around the 15.4 inch macbook pro compared to 13.3 inch macbook or is it similar?

btw, i def. like the black macbook look over the white one too.

JNB

macrumors 604
Get the MBP if you want to truly be happy with your laptop. It's not just the specs, it's the build quality on those things. The MacBooks (the black ones anyway, I can't speak for the white ones because I didn't own one) has a shoddy build. It looks nice at first, but they get blemished, scratched and dirty sooo easy... and the dirt isn't the kind that wipes off. The keyboard and trackpad wears away so easily, and the casing slowly comes apart at the seams. It didn't fall off or anything but if you press on it, it squeaks and you can feel it bending in. And I'm not saying you have to press hard at all.

And the glossy screen! People have different opinions on those, but I hate them. I hate them because I watch DVDs on the laptop often (yes, it's ironic how the glossy screens are advertised to be good for movie viewing... let me tell you, it's not). The viewing angles is horrible, and especially on dark scenes on DVDs you can see the weak viewing angle so obviously it's not funny. Move your head and the colors morph so! A matte screen has none of that. I know it's because of the gloss, because I used to own an old G3 (not G4) iBook, and DVDs look better on that thing than the MacBook.

Sounds like you had a pretty bad experience with your Blackbook, and I'm sorry to to hear that. My own Blackbook has been apparently the complete opposite of yours.

The build quality is first-rate, better than any other laptop I've handled, including the MBP (not that there's ANYTHING wrong with current MBP build quality). Solid, reliable, takes a serious lickin'!

As far as the glossy screen, I cannot understand the "issues" folks have with it. I can't even tell it's glossy unless I'm at just a few degrees off parallel with it; everything is sharp, clear, and vibrant, with not a single distraction or reflection taking away from my ability to view anything, in any light, at any brightness or contrast.

The trackpad is so superior to the Dells and Toshibas and HPs I've used in the last eight years, I'm actually amazed I like to use it. Keys and buttons are quiet but positive and firm, fit & finish overall is the best I've ever seen, and quite honestly I'm glad I didn't spend an extra $500 or so for specs that are (for me, anyway) of dubious necessity.

My advice would be to get the unit that appears, based on needs, to come closest to meeting them, while holding on to the receipts and packaging, and wring the hell out of it for ten days. If you have any doubt at that point, get it back to Apple quick and try again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.