Macbook and iPod Touch: Saving on a purchase

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by WeeManFoo, Jul 12, 2008.

  1. WeeManFoo macrumors newbie

    Jun 3, 2008
    I am really considering buying a Blackbook very soon. I am a student at LSU and I really want a laptop to carry to class. I think that I am ready to make the switch to OSX (after using linux for awhile, I think I can handle the change from Vista). I don't think that Apple will update their notebooks until after the current student discount on iPods expires, so I might as well buy one now.

    The problem is that I am not sure what to do about the free (or rebated) iPod I will get with my purchase. I want to get an iPhone now, but I can't until my contract with Sprint runs out in early February. I am not sure if I should buy an iPod touch now and use it until then, or sell it once I get it with my new Blackbook and use that money to save for an iPhone. What should I do? Also, what capacity should I get if I plan on selling it? I will get at least a 16gb for my personal use, but would a 8gb be better if I was going to sell it on ebay or to a friend?

    PS. I don't think I need an iPod for awhile (my Zune broke and I haven't really missed it that much). I could get something like a Sansa Clip or an old Nano and be fine, especially since I mainly used my Zune for podcasts instead of my music.
  2. scienide09 macrumors 65816


    May 5, 2007
    If you plan to sell the iPod anyway, I would purchase now and sell immediately. There are lots on the market at the moment from others doing the same thing. You probably won't get the full price, but you might come close. It sounds like you don't need it.

    If you wait to sell to sell it, you'll never get the full price. It won't be new. An, if Apple is true to form, the iPods (Touch and Nano) will probably be updated in the fall (mid-September), so new models will be on the market. This will drive down the value of current gen Touches.
  3. metroid87706 macrumors regular


    Jul 2, 2008
    New Baltimore, MI
  4. WeeManFoo thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jun 3, 2008
    I know, that is why I am considering buying a Macbook in the first place. I figure I will basically get a Macbook for $300 off, which makes it very competitive to the other laptops I have looked at (XPS m1330 and the Toshiba u405). I just need to know if I should sell the iPod now and save for an iPhone in February or if I should use it (at least a 16gb one) and sell it later.

    PS. If I bought a iPod touch now, will it have the 2.0 software update included?
  5. Jeegan macrumors newbie

    Jan 17, 2005
    If you are just going to buy and sell, I would go for the 8GB, won't cost you anything after the rebate, so any money you make will be pure profit, where as the 16GB would require putting in $100 of your own, plus tax. As to whether you should use it now or sell to save, you have to ask yourself what you want the iPhone for. If you just want it because it is the cool new thing, then I would just sell the touch now. If you want the iPhone because on top of being a phone you have some good use for it, via apps or for music or video, then you have to consider whether or not you can wait until Feb to get an iPhone to utilize those features or if you just gotta have them now. Another thing to consider is a possible price drop on the touch. If it drops before Feb and you keep the touch until then, it will be worth less and sell for less. Also, I just have an off question, why do you want the black macbook? I just wonder is all.
  6. WeeManFoo thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jun 3, 2008
    I absolutely HATE gadgets that are white. I have an Xbox 360 Elite just because of that. I really think that all gadgets look better in black or silver (I really like brushed aluminum PC cases in either color). I would spend the extra money just for the color.

    I like your analysis about the iPod. I agree that the price will most definitely go down when Apple introduces new models in the Fall. I also think that 8gb for $300 is a complete rip off, even with all of the features. The Creative Zen 32gb sells for $300 and it has a more colorful and rich screen, storage expandability, great sound quality, and Divix support. Granted, it doesn't have the same size screen and a killer touch interface, but it is the same price as an iPod with a fourth of the storage space.

    On the other hand...the iPod touch has to be the COOLEST mp3 player out there. I have a tough decision to make...
  7. mattniles007 macrumors 6502


    Dec 4, 2005
  8. sn00pie macrumors 6502a


    Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Don't forget about the free printer. Buy that too. I'd recommend buying the 8gb iPod Touch if you are going to sell, mainly because you'll have a larger market of buyers for the cheaper 8gb version then the 16gb.

    Sell the iPod Touch and the printer if you want and use that money toward an iPhone. :)
  9. WeeManFoo thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jun 3, 2008
    Wow...I didn't know about that. Thanks for the extra savings. I think I might get a photo printer and keep it.

    I think I decided to keep an iPod touch when I buy, but only if the 2.0 software works with LSU wireless (it didn't work before). Thanks for everybody's help!

Share This Page