macbook and macbook pro ac adapter

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by headviking, Jan 10, 2009.

1. headviking macrumors member

My son my mistake switched ac adapter between my macbook and macbook pro. The macbook worked fine but my macbook pro didn't. took awhile to figure it out but did I do some harm to my macbook using macbook pro ac adapter?

Headviking

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The MacBook works fine with the MacBook Pro adapter, but the MacBook Pro does not work with the MacBook adapter.

3. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

My MBP and my daughter's MB both came with the exact same adapter. I use hers every time we go out of town. Does it depend on the age of the computers/adapters?

4. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Nope, no harm done to the Macbook.

Generally the MBP adapters are larger, and capable of 95W of output, while the MB outputs 65W.

Perhaps the older MBP's ran 65W adapters as well? :confused:

5. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

They are not the same. They are physically the same (unless the MBP is an original 85W = rectangular and not square) but the MBP is 85W and the MB is 60W. The MBA is physically smaller IIRC and is only 45W.

The MBP adapter will charge the MB just fine and cause no harm.

The MB adapter will help power the MBP but won't actually charge the battery since it is a lower wattage. Using it with the MBP shouldn't cause any arm as well.

6. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

Maybe they sent her the wrong one then (they are both square). Cause while I was on vacation for a week, the MB charger charged my MBP battery to full capacity several times after a discharge. It's not here right now so I can't look at it.

7. headviking thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the posts. I feel alot better now. I was warried that I might have damaged something in the long run. These mac's are a huge investment and I like to take care of them.
    Thanks again.

HeadViking:)

8. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

If anyone is curious, I checked my daughter's MB adapter, and it's the same as my MBP. Her's came from the referb store, so maybe that's why they sent the MBP charger? All I can say is I'm glad they did, so we don't have to carry both adapters when we go on trips.:)

9. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

They arnt the same adaptors. they look the same but using one adaptor with the other computer isnt a good idea as they have different Wattages. At best this can result in extremely slow recharging times for the battery, and at worst a fried computer.

10. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

No, I mean I read all the specs on them, they have the exact same output. They are identical adapters. I'm certain that hers is a MBP adapter. And, it charges my MBP as fast as mine does.

11. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Well thats because they're both MBP adaptors! :p

12. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

Oh, of course, that must be it. Silly me.:D

13. richorlin macrumors regular

Macbook/Macbook Pro adapters

If you use a MB adapter on a MBP you won't damage the computer but can fry the adapter under a heavy load. It will charge the MBP ok if you are not using the computer for anything. However once the computer draws power, the charger won't charge the battery, only power the computer.