Macbook and macbook pro battery life

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bentotbox, Mar 21, 2010.

1. bentotbox macrumors newbie

I'm interested in getting a macbook or macbook pro for college. I would be getting the macbook pro 13in. What i would like to know is what is the battery life like on the regular macbook and the macbook pro. Apple says they both get the 7hrs of battery but i would like to know what the real life battery is like not what they say. The basic things that you would use it for.

Browsing the web?
    Watching a movie?
    Typing up document?

2. Surely Guest

Surely

Browsing the web? Depends on what you're browsing. 5-6 hours?

Watching a movie? 4-5 hours tops.

Typing up document? Closer to the 7 hours than the others.

It really depends on how you use your computer. You aren't going to get a definitive answer here.

3. alecgold macrumors 65816

alecgold

If you turn of the plugins in safari (they can be very heavy sometimes) and turn the brightness down, you will get a good life.
    I've been using my MBP13 now since it came out and my battery health is still 98% and I can still get 6-7 hours of working with word, sometimes searching on internet. If I put on some music, it gets a bit less, more like 5,5 to 6 hours. It's more than enough to last me through a regular working day.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

No, it very clearly states that the new notebooks get up to 7 hours of battery life.

5. bentotbox thread starter macrumors newbie

I am aware of that but that is never the case. it gets 7hours of idle i'm wondering what real life usage is like just surfing the web without it being plugged in.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

...it's up to 7 hours, probably 3 or 4. Your mileage may vary.

7. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

You can get around 6 hours with medium brightness and with only Pages open.
    I get about 4-5 hours watching movies with medium brightness, with more brighness it goes down to 3-4.
    Take an average of 5 hours battery life. That kicks ass.

8. prss14 macrumors regular

prss14

For me the screen brightness seems to make the biggest difference. I have gotten close to 7 hours while using using Safari along with iTunes in the background. Keeping the brightness around 1/2 and the keyboard lights off or next to lowest. Using Skype has killed my battery the fastest of any application I have used. I haven't run into low battery problems when typing. I haven't watched a movie on battery, but I agree with some of the others. Expect around 5 hours for most things. I have been very impressed.

9. nigameash macrumors 6502

You ll get about 5-6 hours if you're surfing the web and typing up a document ;) Of course you can turn off all un-important things to further increase battery life ;)

10. TheOnlyJon macrumors 6502a

TheOnlyJon

Talked to one of the Geniuses at the bar and he said that the "Up to X hours of battery life" are with basically nothing running...lowest backlight, no processes running, etc. I've gotten used to operating with under half backlight and get decent battery life...~4 hours surfing the web, Photoshop, etc.