Macbook and Macbook pro, dangerously similar?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by swordth, Oct 14, 2008.

1. swordth macrumors newbie

Am i the only one who gets the feeling that the two laptops are now dangerously similar?

They both look essentially the same (the pro is just larger), their screens are both LED backlit, the higher end macbook has also a backlit keyboard, and their screens look the same.

I get the feeling that their isn't really enough of a difference between the two to justify getting the pro (at least for most people). Only real difference is the GPU.

2. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

3. MVApple macrumors 6502a

Well the feed I'm reading says they are 0.95" thin. That's only 0.05" thinner which is really neglible. I'm disappointed they didn't offer an ips screen update. Sony has one available and now HP and Dell will be offering one soon. All three of them also have optional blu-ray drives in their laptops.

4. marclapierre13 macrumors 6502a

marclapierre13

I agree...I rather get the MB, since the only difference is the shared video card, but it is still 256mb!

5. tbae12 macrumors member

i agree i hate how the macbooks and macbook pros look just like each other. the blackbook was a image statement for it's premium price and along with better performance i thought that that was similar with the pros to the macbooks. now they both look the same and there will be people out there who will confuse the two.

it's like how people got confused with quarters and the dollar coin all those years back so the US mint stopped making the dollar quaters

6. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

WTF? Like someone is going to die from mistaking one for the other?

Why should you care?

7. marvel2 macrumors 6502

It may cannibalize sales of the base 15" pro. Oh well.

8. TheFinale macrumors newbie

that means the pro will have 2 graphics chips on board... can they link together to provide even better video performance ?

9. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

I'm very happy because i like my penryn, much better than the new mbp. I thought I'd be jealous but nope.

10. swordth thread starter macrumors newbie

same here. No glare from the lecture hall lights for me

11. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

But they also raised the price. The cheapest alu MacBook is now $1299, and the top-end model is only $400 less than the 15-incher. I don't think Apple really cares which one you buy.

12. philamac macrumors regular

yes i think they are very similar, they really have consolidated the MB & MBP line into 1. The only questions remaining are:
    1) Do you need discrete graphics?
    2) Does the screen size matter to you?
    3) Do you need firewire?

For most people, i think it will be hard to justify a MBP over a MB, and that's alright 'cause that's the way it's supposed to be. The real question is, does the MBP have any 'pro' features still left in it to warrant its premium?

13. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

Yea, way too similar.

One thing I do like though is how the difference in weight is 1lb now. The old Macbook was 5lbs and Macbook Pro was 5.4lbs

New Macbook is 4.5lbs, and new Macbook pro is 5.5lbs (whoa, it got 0.1lb heavier than old Macbook Pro!).

Maybe I'll switch to a new MB since its almost the same as my MBP.

14. TheFinale macrumors newbie

think Apple wants the pro users to move, to protect MBP market share and leave the consumers to consider MB and MBA. So if u need FW, simple... MBP is for u .

15. martinmartin macrumors 6502

I'm surprised the laptops (especially the Pros) have only 2 USB inputs...

And they're so close together that you will need a hub if you use anything like an SD card reader.

16. Queso macrumors G4

Those MacBooks are definitely aimed more at the PB12" crowd. Effectively the one remaining "true" MacBook remains for the education market, and will probably disappear from consumer stores eventually.

Saying that, Apple have effectively just cast the entire professional graphics market adrift from their portable line by not offering matte screens. Not a good move and one I believe will see more graphics shops go over to Windows.

17. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

Very possible.

18. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

if i am to buy an MBP right now ( which isn't the case since i bought one last Feb)
    i'd be thinking twice..or 5 times..
    i would probalby end up buying the new MB..

the reason i got the macbook pro before were:

1. Matte Screen
    2. Old Fashioned Keyboard
    3. larger screen

now, i can no longer justify going for the PRO..
    i'll just compromise and do my work on the Mac PRO and ACD