Macbook and Macbook Pro memory question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by smiddlehurst, Jun 20, 2007.

1. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

Hi all,

I'm on the verge of sticking 2 x 2Gb memory modules into my Santa Rosa MBP as part of a cunning plan but was hoping someone could confirm that what I'm thinking of will work.

The idea is to swap the existing 2 x 1Gb DIMMS from the MBP into my 2.0Ghz Core Duo Macbook to give it a nice memory boost for 'free'. Checking through the specs for memory upgrades on-line it looks like both machines use identical memory (PC2-5300 NONECC Unbuffered 200 Pin DDR2) but I just wanted to make sure that this is, in fact, the case.

Thanks in advance,
    Steve.

2. Jessy macrumors regular

All Intel Macs, ever (to this point), use the same RAM, except for the Mac Pro. iMacs, Mac Minis, MacBooks, and MacBook Pros RAM all use the same RAM spec.

3. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I think your SR MBP would prefer 667 Mhz RAM, whereas your MB wants 533. I don't know that you can use 667 Mhz RAM with a 533 Mhz bus, but somebody here will know the answer to that.

4. smiddlehurst thread starter macrumors 65816

Good point that, hopefully it shouldn't be an issue as memory specified at a higher clock shouldn't have any problems running at a slower one. I hope...

5. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

all macbooks have a 667 mhz bus. further, all macbooks come with 667 mhz ram. to the op, replacing your macbook's ram with the new ram from the santa rosa will be fine. enjoy.

6. smiddlehurst thread starter macrumors 65816

Fantastic, thanks for confirming that. Just got to remember to keep the old stuff as the Macbook is technically a work machine...