Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dellisdead

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2008
Refurbished Macbook Pro -- New Models

When can we expect to see the new Penryn models show up in the refurbished aisle of the Apple store?

Finiksa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2003
Australia
And I'm personally glad to see the remote made an option. I didn't like paying for a remote on a laptop - I just can't see any possible scenario where I'd need it. So why should I pay for it?

Assuming you're in the US there was no price drop. By your logic you're now paying for a remote and not receiving it.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
Good job, Intel. :) Apple could use some pushing. :p

I would rather see Apple have their own schedule so that they could plan and arrange their resources efficiently. This would benefit us and maybe the stock price.

It would also keep up the value longer as devices wouldn't be "obsolete" every three months.

On the other hand, yesterday's products can be pretty affordable. I got $700 off a new MBP, a computer that is pretty damn astounding really. And I played with a MBA, an amazing product that points to the future for sure.

So, in a couple of years or so all Macs will have the MBA form factor, some sort of new screen technology, full multi-touch controls and be even faster.

Then, on some Tuesday, new updated chips will come out and bump the speed a hair and I'll get all that stuff cheap. It is surely an interesting business.

mikethemovie

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2008
does anyone know of or have been able to talk the apple salesman down on the price or been able to get any free stuff from the sale. I'm gonna buy the new macbook pro, but i just want to know if anyone has any experience or seen before the ability to talk down the sales price of the mac or get like free apple care.

Thanks

My friend in Canada bought me a Macbook Pro and a Macbook Air for herself.. I got the Macbook pro for the same price as refurb model and she got a free superdrive.. :p..

That was one day before the minor update.. You guys think when i receive my macbook pro i can switch it to the newer model?

jmark

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2006
I've been using a maxxed out last revision 12" PB, and before that a 12" iBook, 10.5" PB 2400, and 9.5" PB 520. I fortunately have the resources to buy any machine I desire, but have been committed to the small but full function form factor (so not a subnotebook or MBA). I've been patiently awaiting a 12" MB, but I really need to upgrade. So I was about to relent and pull the trigger on a new 13" MB until tenks' much appreciated post. But then I noticed the DailyTech article ends with "since the thermal envelopes will not change between Penryn revisions vendors will be able to keep the existing form factors." So even a June release may not bring a 12-incher. I'll buy a 13-incher if I must, but it will be sad to buy my first Mac (loyal since 1985) with a built-in regret that I really wanted something else.

I was in exactly the same situation (last-generation maxxed 12-inch Powerbook, waiting impatiently for a similar-size MacBook Pro), until finally giving in and getting the new 2.4 gHz Black MacBook this week.

Unless you're *seriously* space-challenged, I have to say this is a really nice upgrade in every way. Okay, so I wish it was black aluminum, but this machine is just ridiculously faster than the 12" PB...and the screen is a really major improvement also (both in terms of image-quality, and the extra pixels). Add in the ease of changing out the hard drive...I felt it necessary to pay someone to do an upgrade to a 7200rpm drive in the Powerbook, but was able to do that in about 2 minutes on the MacBook.

This purchase was definitely with some reluctance (I actually first got the base MacBook a couple weeks ago, then traded it back when the new models arrived...and at the same time paid the $400 to upgrade to the Black), but since then (even having the first white MacBook for a couple weeks) I haven't felt even the slightest desire to go back to the 12" PB. Still haven't decided whether it will be sold or kept as a dire-emergency backup.

asdavis10

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
Bermuda
definitely, especially when wireless USB becomes mainstream. I can definitely see this happening, just like the iPod touch will replace the iPod classic

Definitely not going to happen. A totally wireless system will always be niche product. Wireless data transfer raises a whole new list of security issues that the average consumer need not worry about. Plus the speed of wireless data transfer will never be capable to that of USB, FireWire, etc. In the case of the iPod, it is essentially the same product. The iPod Touch is just the latest generation of the . The MBA is a totally different product from the MB and MBP. You will see some of its features in the other models but it won't replace them. Especially not at their price point.

randyf

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
jmark, I appreciate your insights. I'm sure I'd also like the MB over my PB -- but just not as much if it was a 12-incher. I realize its odd to begrudge a product that doesn't exist, but Apple made 12-inchers for so many years. I'm reminded of that long stretch of my holding out when Apple only made larger Wallstreets, Lombards, and Pismos. They eventually came down to our smaller sweet spot, and I hope history repeats itself. When they do, I'll be first in line.

p3t4r

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2008
MBP 4,1 trackpad vs MacBook Air trackpad

i just compared a MacBook Air Trackpad with a 3,1 MBP one, and MPB's is a bit smaller. is this the case also for the MBP 4,1 penryn? or since it is multitouch it has been enlarged a bit?

mongoos150

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2005
Definitely not going to happen. A totally wireless system will always be niche product. Wireless data transfer raises a whole new list of security issues that the average consumer need not worry about. Plus the speed of wireless data transfer will never be capable to that of USB, FireWire, etc. In the case of the iPod, it is essentially the same product. The iPod Touch is just the latest generation of the . The MBA is a totally different product from the MB and MBP. You will see some of its features in the other models but it won't replace them. Especially not at their price point.
Ok - you have absolutely no merit claiming "Definitely not going to happen." Just because wireless data transfer (USB in this example) is a new technology doesn't mean that by 2011 it won't be the norm. Look at how wireless internet routers have saturated the home environment, school environment, coffee shop environment - the same will likely happen, in time, with USB. Heck, even power will be wireless in due time. Basic users don't worry about the logistics / security / whatever of wireless networks, and the same will happen with wireless peripheral data transfer.

asdavis10

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
Bermuda
Ok - you have absolutely no merit claiming "Definitely not going to happen." Just because wireless data transfer (USB in this example) is a new technology doesn't mean that by 2011 it won't be the norm. Look at how wireless internet routers have saturated the home environment, school environment, coffee shop environment - the same will likely happen, in time, with USB. Heck, even power will be wireless in due time. Basic users don't worry about the logistics / security / whatever of wireless networks, and the same will happen with wireless peripheral data transfer.

Bad point citing the use of wireless internet networks. That has to do with convenience and not because wireless is better and faster. Hard lines have and will always be the faster and safer means to transfer data. The quote that I commented on was talking about the MBA replacing the MB. And that is "definitely not going to happen". They are two totally different products (entry level and subcompact) at two drastically different price points. So in 2011 (3 years) wireless data transfer will be the norm replacing USB?! LOL. You sure you don't want to add a couple decades to that date?

skwoytek

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2005
i just compared a MacBook Air Trackpad with a 3,1 MBP one, and MPB's is a bit smaller. is this the case also for the MBP 4,1 penryn? or since it is multitouch it has been enlarged a bit?

Not sure if the Penryn MBP trackpad has been enlarged from the previous MBP. However, I went to get some hands on with the new MBP yesterday, and the MBP multi-touch trackpad is small compared to the MBA trackpad. I'm going to wait to see if Apple resizes it. It felt confined while doing multi-touch gestures compared to the MBA.

nellcooper

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2008

At present, the MBPs have a smaller trackpad than the MBA. The keys on the MBPs are larger than the MBA, which is closer to the MacBook chiclets. I actually like the smaller keys and larger trackpad, so I stuffed my new notebook money into a short-term CD to wait for a possible redesign of the MBPs when the new Intel chips are announced (possibly in June?).

But I have to say, I was very impressed with the new MBP performance, while loving the feel of the MBA -- so I'm rather ambivalent right now. :confused:

Of course, I'm incredibly excited about the more eco-friendly designs which lets me feel a lot less guilty about my tech addiction. ;)

cygni

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2005
When can we expect to see the new Penryn models show up in the refurbished aisle of the Apple store?
Try your local Apple store, I saw a few people bringing back new MacBooks to exchange for the Air or Pro models in NYC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.