MacBook and Mavericks?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Maccaloon, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Maccaloon macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Have a mid-2010 MacBook and recently downloaded Mavericks, but my computer feels slower. I have placed an order for extra ram (to get to 4GB) in the hope it will bring it back to speed.

Question is, should I have installed Mavericks in the first place? Should I consider going back to Mountain Lion? I haven't used Time Machine, but I don't have masses of files on my MacBook, but I am curious if you think I need to do that.

Many thanks for help and advice.

2. rapicell macrumors regular

Once you get the extra ram, it should help smooth things over. Mavericks is a decent OS and once it gets tuned up it'll be better off. However, if you feel that there isn't any key features, then by all means downgrade to ML, however I'm not an expert in that area.

3. copykris macrumors 6502a

copykris

it's running great on my 2009 macbook

should be fine once you upgrade the ram

4. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

My niece had one of the white books with 2GB. Boot was forever. For less than $50 we put in 8GB last year It made a huge difference and gave her another year with it. But she will be getting a new rMBP in January.....nothing lasts forever.

5. jwolf6589 macrumors 6502a

jwolf6589

I just installed 6GB's in my Macbook going from 4GB and it is still sluggish, however I can run more apps at once but not by much. Mavericks is a RAM hog and poorly designed by Apple.

----------

Running great???? I bought my Macbook Refurbished Feb 2010 and I just went from 4-6GB's and it still uses up all the RAM. Mavericks is a RAM hog!!!!

6. copykris macrumors 6502a

copykris

i don't know what to say, apart from the fact that i do have 8GB in mine

maybe that makes all the difference in this case?

sorry to hear your experience isn't quite as good though

7. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

You might be confused when it comes to the new memory management system on Mavericks.

See my link to CNET for an explanation.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57609748-263/activity-monitor-in-os-x-mavericks-brings-significant-changes/