Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

francomade

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2020
Hi! Im currently using the Macbook Pro 16inch. Hooked it up to my monitor in clamshell mode.

When im done with work, i put it to sleep, switch off the monitor screen, plugged out my usb hub (comes with hdmi adapter) and took out the charger.

When I want to resume work, i plugged in my usb hub and charger, switched on my monitor and I would always get two pop up windows saying "You shut down your computer because of a problem" & "Your computer was restarted because of a problem".

Does anyone experience such issue?

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

It sounds like something you are doing is causing what is called a kernel panic (essentially a system crash).

Why are you disconnecting all that stuff. You can just leave it all attached and put the Mac to sleep.

francomade

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2020

It sounds like something you are doing is causing what is called a kernel panic (essentially a system crash).

Why are you disconnecting all that stuff. You can just leave it all attached and put the Mac to sleep.

Even the charger?

yukari

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
While they say you can keep the charger plugged in, I would not recommend it. I did a similar thing and kept the charger in all the time during the lockdown. It made my battery swell and caused the keys not to function as it actually warped the top cover (keyboard cover). I have 2018 MBP 15".

Thank goodness I had AppleCare+ and was covered. They replaced the battery AND the top cover (keyboard panel) without charge as it was covered by AppleCare+.

This is the first time I bought AppleCare+ for MBP, as I learned my lesson from my previous 2011 MBP and its dGPU-gate.

While I didn't purchase AppleCare+ for any other Apple products, for a laptop with no more user replaceable parts, I think it's a must.
[automerge]1592003361[/automerge]
Now, I always turn off my MBP at the end of the day and unplug the charger. I also use my MBP without the charger at least every few days to drain the battery before recharging.

francomade

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2020
While they say you can keep the charger plugged in, I would not recommend it. I did a similar thing and kept the charger in all the time during the lockdown. It made my battery swell and caused the keys not to function as it actually warped the top cover (keyboard cover). I have 2018 MBP 15".

Thank goodness I had AppleCare+ and was covered. They replaced the battery AND the top cover (keyboard panel) without charge as it was covered by AppleCare+.

This is the first time I bought AppleCare+ for MBP, as I learned my lesson from my previous 2011 MBP and its dGPU-gate.

While I didn't purchase AppleCare+ for any other Apple products, for a laptop with no more user replaceable parts, I think it's a must.
[automerge]1592003361[/automerge]
Now, I always turn off my MBP at the end of the day and unplug the charger. I also use my MBP without the charger at least every few days to drain the battery before recharging.

So it's either:
1) Leave the charger plugged in while macbook is not in use (Note: It's connected to my monitor)

2) Take out the charger and live with the error message all the time (Error msg: Your computer was restarted due to a problem) whenever I switched on my macbook

I do have AppleCare+.. I wish there is a workaround of my macbook always restarting whenever I plugged in my cables back?

yukari

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
Simply turn off the computer and unplug the charger. It doesn't take that much more time.

It will be far better in the long run.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Even the charger?
Yes... I leave mine plugged in like this for weeks on end.

The problem here is there is no way to tell if your problem was caused by leaving it plugged in, or you just happened to have a bad battery. These things are made to run in clamshell mode like this.

CrazyEd

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2019
Hi I have a 2020 Macbook Pro 13" 2.0 Ghz Quad Core hooked up, through a dock, to an HDMI input into a monitor. I have a gaming PC that I have hooked into the same monitor through a display port connection. The monitor has two HDMI inputs and one DisplayPort input. Anyway, when I switch inputs on the monitor from my MacBook to the PC, and then back, the MacBook always acts up--it either is no longer sending a signal to the display, or the display gets highly pixelated or otherwise messed up visually. I usually have to restart the MacBook to get the MacBook and display back in sync.

I never had this problem with my mid-2012 MacBook Pro 13" when I had it hooked into the display via HDMI, had my work PC hooked in through the DVI or whatever input, and then switched back and forth between screens.

Anyone know what could be going wrong? The MacBook has a thunderbolt 3 cable going from the MacBook to a dock, and the dock has a an HDMI output that is running to the display. Would it make any difference if I got a Thunderbolt 3 to HDMI cable and ran it to the monitor without a dock? Thanks--I don't imagine this is an issue a lot of people will enounter. I'm sort of spoiled that I have a killer gaming PC and a MacBook. First world problem, I know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.