MacBook and my parents

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Hanzo226, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Hanzo226 macrumors newbie

Hi I'm 14.5 I'd like to get a macbook pro 13 touchbar 256 16gb with all the bells and whistles though my parents don't want to buy me one , so I've settled on a compromise I'd buy a MacBook air now of my personal savings use it for 18 to 24 months and save up literally every cent I get from my parents to hopefully buy a pro in 2020 , is this a viable idea?

2. techwarrior macrumors 6502a

techwarrior

Sure. Macs have generally good resale values, so this should be a good strategy.

3. Hanzo226 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for help , I know you might need a crystal ball for this one but it's rather unlikely that MacBooks will get too pricy to buy (50 percent price increase or something ) right?

4. techwarrior macrumors 6502a

techwarrior

Apple traditionally tries to keep prices consistent from year to year. Only reason they would go up significantly in price is if the components increase significantly, or they add some expensive options in future releases (2TB SSD for example). But, they often have multiple configurations so while top of the line might get more expensive, models with mid to low end options will likely hold the line on pricing.

5. Hanzo226 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks I talked to my Dad and he told me if I wanted a pro I would have to wait till June , do you think its wise to wait for next gen Mac's with quad cores or should we expect them to be way more expensive ?

6. Plett macrumors member

Plett

As a parent I would find it reasonable for my child to pay the cost of the Air and ask me to fund the rest. I would not buy my child a new MBP outright either. Offer a compromise to your folks.

7. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

To get more for your money, consider an Apple-refurbished laptop.
    See what's available here:
    refurbme.com

8. techwarrior, Feb 19, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2018

techwarrior macrumors 6502a

techwarrior

Not way more. Should be around the same price as current offerings.

Ditto this, but also look at refurbs on the Apple site. Start at the Apple homepage, scroll to the bottom and there will be a link to Refurbished items. Can generally save 15-20% going this route, and Apple does an excellent job of refurbishing items.

Also, if a new model comes out soon, current models may come down in price, or a bunch of refurb units will appear shortly after launch as folks return items for the newer model.

9. Hanzo226 thread starter macrumors newbie

So I talked it our with my Dad and I think we can call this a case closed , we've reached an agreement he will buy me (I will pay approx 30% of the value ) the MacBook pro 2018 with a quadcore since the prices will be the same and we expect to have enough money by then and thanks y'all

10. DeepIn2U macrumors 601

DeepIn2U

My suggestion .... save your money if you do NOT NEED a computer right now. Ask your parents for advice and their investment agent ... invest the money, continue to work ... watch that grow. Most likely by the end of 2018 or early 2019 you'll be able to afford a MBP. Also consider student pricing if you're a student.

If you MUST have one ... check out Ebay and try your luck there.

11. BrennanWDavis macrumors newbie

BrennanWDavis

Yeah, I pretty much only buy my Apple products refurbished [from Apple.com] They are all inspected and fixed by hand. they also carry the same or similar warranty. I had my last iMac for 6 years, and I only bought a new one because I thought they looked cool. there was no actual need to.