Macbook and/or Macbook Pro Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by branharrison6, Apr 4, 2007.

  1. branharrison6 macrumors member

    Mar 22, 2007
    What would be my estimated wait time for a new model or upgraded model of either the macbook or macbook pro to come out? I am going to be purchasing my first apple computer within the next 2-3 months and don't want to purchase something that will be outdated soon. Does anyone know or have a good educated guess of when a new model or upgraded one will be released for either of apple's notebooks??

  2. mattscott306 macrumors 68040


    Jan 16, 2007
    Check out Macrumors helpful buying guide. They have about the best guess as any non apple personel as to when things will be released.

    Both are mid product cycle, so I wouldn't expect anything to soon, yet that may change within the few month time period you stated.
  3. Captain Planet macrumors 6502a

    Captain Planet

    Mar 24, 2007
    Well I expect the MacBook Pro to get an upgrade before the MacBook. That upgrade probably won't be until at least June...But I guess no one can really say for sure. Anyways, if you can't wait then just go ahead and buy right now, but if you can, then I guess you'd be better off waiting.
  4. sjo macrumors 6502a

    Aug 30, 2005
    Well I need to get new laptop before early July, so here's what I've been thinking: the macrumors buyers guide shows that Apple aims to refresh Macbook (/ibook) line once in spring and once in autumn (usually in april and october/november). There are some discounts on lowend Macbook where I live so that might suggest that they might be clearing some inventory before releasing new models. The problem, however, is that there really is not too many ways they could update the macbook line, anyway they might go would bring macbooks too close to mbp... So probly no macbook update this spring. Hope I'm wrong though!

    As for MBPs, the santa rosa platform is coming in May and Apple seems to have updated MBPs before MBs with new intel platforms so far, by a couple of months. So my guess would be new MBPs with Santa Rosa, 2.2 and 2.4. processors and maybe new graphics card in may - june and new MBs october... Of course, if they are planning some other change than processor/platform, the picture might be different.
  5. branharrison6 thread starter macrumors member

    Mar 22, 2007
    So if I go ahead and don't wait and get it within the next month would that be a bad idea? Do you think that the macbook line will even get THAT big of an upgrade besides the OSX Leapord when it does release? Cause if that's the case then I'll just go ahead and get the macbook and then upgrade my OS when OSX Leapord is shipped.
  6. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

    Mar 29, 2006
    Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    I was talking to a friend of mine about this who really wants to buy a laptop now, but doesn't want to get burned too bad when new ones roll out. There's definitely a value in not having to compromise your productivity because you want to wait.

    I myself just bought a new 15" 2.15ghz macbook pro 2 weeks ago beacuse I couldnt wait and needed to get stuff done. However, I'm in a unique situation in that my wife needs to upgrade her old iBook soon anyways, so my plan is to hand this off to her once the new MacBook Pros roll out and then get the latest greatest for myself. Then I'll be good for the next couple years, while she'll be a little outdated, but its alright, she doesn't do heavy things on the laptop anyways.

    anyways, here's my suggestion...

    Strictly speaking in terms of MBPs... I would suggest to buy used because an upgrade really appears to be coming in the near future, and its seeming like its going to be a lot more than just an OS upgrade.

    Looking at the 15" 2.16ghz, A new one w/ education discount goes for $1799, and the refurb ones from apple (when they're available randomly in the mornings) go for $1599. So if you can pay like $1300ish for a used, I bet you could probably still sell for pretty much what you paid for it once the new upgraded MBPs roll out.

    Try to buy from someone who still has enough warranty left to go into late late '07 (of if you're lucky, early early '08) so that when you resell the laptop, you can still sell it under warranty, and the buyer has the option to put on applecare.

    I never recommend extended service plans except on apple.
  7. Erasmus macrumors 68030


    Jun 22, 2006
    Hiding from Omnius in Australia
    Nobody knows for sure, but I would say MBP's in June, probably the 11th or 12th, whichever SJ des his keynote on. For what I think the specs could be, check my sig.

    I terms of the Macbook, the biggest upgrade is likely going to be the X3000 integrated GPU. It will be much, much better than the GMA955 or whatever it is in the MBs now. The Santa Rosa chipset will bring faster, 800MHz RAM. Possibility of internal Flash memory for much faster boot times.
  8. ready2switch macrumors 6502


    Apr 7, 2006
    The MacBook and MacBook Pro are both dependent on Intel's release of the new Santa Rosa platform. Basically the scenario looks like this:

    Intel announces Santa Rosa at IDF in Beijing (April 17-18) with Apple updating the MacBook Pro shortly after.

    If not

    Intel announces Santa Rosa in May with Apple updating the MacBook Pro by June's WWDC.

    If not

    Apple waits to adopt Santa Rosa (like it did the C2D chips) and updates are anyone's guess.

    (MacBooks lag anywhere from weeks to months behind the MacBook Pro upgrades)

    If you're planning to buy before July, then you'll be able to wait out 2 of these 3 scenarios. With the third, which would be the least desirable, you could be waiting as long as Sept-Oct for upgrades.

    Oh, and of course any combination of the 3 are also possible. ;)
  9. BashBash macrumors newbie

    Apr 8, 2007
    I'm also in the process of deciding on buying a MacBook Pro, but I think I'm gonna wait until the new line comes out. Certainly if the product cycle is coming to an end, it would most likely be better to wait until the new ones come out. This is also gonna be my first Mac, so I wouldn't want to get something that'll be outdated soon. All I can say that the new line is probably coming out in June (middle or probably closer to the end??). But I would say wait a little more. I can't wait to get one myself but will wait... :D
  10. civilizedrat macrumors regular

    Mar 20, 2007
    ... and then we wait for June only for Jobs to say..."the new MacBooks and MacBook Pros - shipping in August."
  11. Erasmus macrumors 68030


    Jun 22, 2006
    Hiding from Omnius in Australia
    Please don't say things like that. It's depressing.
  12. sikkinixx macrumors 68020


    Jul 10, 2005
    Rocketing through the sky!
    Gotta love Apple product updates... *sighs* why can't I ever be ready to buy a new laptop when they just got updated instead of mid/near the end of the cycle? Damn you Apple!

Share This Page