macbook and secondary display

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by andyjamesnelson, Jul 4, 2008.

1. andyjamesnelson macrumors 6502

Hello I am looking for advice on using a secondary display with a new macbook (I have the middle white one).

What resolution can it support?

Does it make the laptop slow down significantly (I want a second display for graphics work because the built in one is rubbish)?

Do you have any suggestions for display that would work well with it?

Thanks for your time. Andy

2. Matek macrumors 6502a

According to this specsheet that was very difficult to find the maximum output resolution on the external display is 1920x1200.

It doesn't slow the laptop down noticably. Graphics work mostly isn't affected by the graphics card (ironically), so it won't hurt you in any way.

Since it's a completely standard output it's pointless to ask what display would work well with it. It would be just like asking what display you should use with GeForce 8800GT. It all depends on the quality of the display - pick one you like.

3. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

i use a 20" Acer LCD with my MacBook (I use my MacBook in desktop mode, so i don't use the MacBook's screen along with the LCD, i just use the MacBook's screen when im actually using it as a laptop). It doesn't slow my computer down AT ALL. Its great! Shouldn't have any problems

And yeah, pick what ever display you like. I suggest a Dell display cuz thats the best thing they do, make amazing displays.

4. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I do the same thing just with an apple display. There's maybe just a tiny slowdown with expose or spaces, but maybe it's just in my head. The apple displays have great color accuracy if you're doing graphics work.

5. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

i personally haven't experienced and problems with spaces or expose, and i use them daily a lott.

Make sure you calibrate your screen for best performance if you get it! "D

6. patrickmacrumor macrumors regular

The original GMA 950 video card had a slight problem with Exposé. The X3100 video card does not. You'll need a minDVi to DVI adapter to connect a monitor to your MacBook.

I have my MacBook opened on a notebook stand beside my monitor. I used the MacBook screen as a secondary where I have Activity Monitor running all the time. I also use it whenever I need to type an assignment. One screen with Word and the other with a reference material.

Personally, I don't recommend using the MacBook with the lid close. Although, some might say that a notebook has been designed to be able to run with the lid closed, it will still trap some heat. I know someone who worked for a big notebook manufacturer and he says that notebooks are designed to let some of the heat escaped through the keyboard. It does make sense since heat tends to rise.

7. Matek macrumors 6502a

It doesn't make much sense with the MacBook, since it pulls air through the keyboard. If Apple says it's ok, I don't see why one shouldn't use it with the lid closed.

In my experience, temperatures remain the same, regardless of the position of the lid. And even if they got a bit higher - they can't do any real damage to your machine.

8. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I have my macbook connected to a 22inch Acer widescreen monitor, and although it runs fine, it's noticeably faster without it connected. Whether that's due to the 1Gb of RAM or not, I don't know.

However I used to have it connected to a 17" generic monitor and I didn't notice a slow down then.

I shouldn't think you'd see a noticeable difference.

9. patrickmacrumor macrumors regular

If the MacBook pulls air from the keyboard, wouldn't you be interferring with air intake if you close the lid? Just a thought.
    I would not believe everything Apples says blindly. Apple initially said that the MacBook and the MacBook Pro could support millions of colours and was sued for false advertising. In the end, Apple settled out of court.

I am not saying that you are right or wrong. We all do what we think is best for us.

--
    Patrick

10. Matek macrumors 6502a

I don't think so. if you close the MacBook and look at it from the side, you can see through to the other side, because there is a slight gap (a couple milimeters) which is more than enough for air to travel.

You may have a point there, but using the laptop closed was a problem with the iBooks and they specifically mentioned this is fixed with the MacBooks. I haven't seen a lof of people complain about closed-lid causing them problems.

And most importantly, as I already mentioned, i have an external display and I often do use the MacBook with the lid closed. The temperatures remain identical and that's pretty convincing IMHO.

11. patrickmacrumor macrumors regular

And you, too, have a point here :)

A quick question for you, although the temperature stays about the same, do you notice if the fan RPM increase? Don't get me wrong, I sometimes use my MB with the lid closed, but for very short periods at a time, like when I need to check something after I've put it to sleep by closing the lid.

To the OP
    If you can afford a good monitor, get a good one. Most of them (except Apple Cinema displays) come with 3-year warranty. I was on a tight budget when I got my 19" Dell and it does not look as great as my wife's Dell monitor (a better one). And if you can get a hardware calibration tool, get one. My MB (replacement) had a bluish tint. A quick calibration using the Spyder2Express fixed the problem.

--
    Patrick

12. Matek macrumors 6502a

My assumption would be no, since the fan RPM directly correlates to the temperature, but I can't say that for sure, since I don't have fan RPM displayed at all times. I'll test it next time I remember and post the results.

13. patrickmacrumor macrumors regular

Thanks. I use iStat menu to keep an eye on temperature and RPM.

14. Gokhan macrumors 6502a

quick question for you guys , i run my macbook connected to my sammy lcd at 136ox740 ( i think) and up untill recently my wallpaper on my macbook's screen used to fill my lcd's screen now that i changed to another wallpaper the ends are cut off from the image on my lcd even though the wallpaper(background image) is above the resolution of the tv , any ideas how i can fix this ?

p.s i tried changing the image back to the original which gave me no issues originally and it didnt work

15. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

I have a question too. I run my mac mini with a 22" acer @ 1680 X 1050. It looks awesome. When I connect the acer to my MB the acer never looks good. I can change the settings and the content is either too large or too small or it doesn't fill the screen. Why?

16. Gokhan macrumors 6502a

k

solved

you can adjust the colour profile for your acer by delving in to the display prefs with it connected