Macbook and the internet. Aircard or bluetooth phone.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by newboy4128, Nov 4, 2007.

1. newboy4128 macrumors newbie

newboy4128

In December I am getting a Macbook. I have been doing research on it but one area I am still confused on is connecting to the internet away from home.

I currently have a T-Mobile cell phone account, but it does not appear they have a mac compatible Aircard or a USB aircard at all. I have been with T-Mobile for years and have been pleased with the service they provide, and do not want to leave them (unless I cannot find a solution).

I have read that if you have a cell phone with bluetooth and internet service the Macbook can connect via the bluetooth to access the internet.

1. Has anyone done this?

2. Did it work well?

Thanks in advance for any input. :)

2. rorton macrumors newbie

Hi

I have connected my Nokia E65 to my macbook over bluetooth, and then used this to connect to the internet with no issues.

GPRS is a little slow, 3G is perfectly acceptable.

If you can find a mobile which does HSDPA you should be fine. Dont forget you cant use the phone while you have a data connection active though

3. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

4. afd macrumors 6502a

is this available in the US with -mobile? I use T-Mobile for internet access with a SE K800i over bluetooth, works fine if phone very close to computer. At work I get best 3G signal with phone on window sill, sometimes the bluetooth connection sort of stops and I have to move the phone close to the computer while tying not to loose the 3G. I'd prefer a hard wired solution if possible I think.

5. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

I use a Treo 755p through Sprint to provide dial up networking services for my MBP. It connects vis a USB cable - a bluetooth connection is possible but flaky. I use 3rd party software running on the Treo to facilitate the connection between the phone and the computer. I get 500-600Kbps down and anywhere from 100-300Kbps up.

6. Cool6324 macrumors member

You will never reach anywhere near 300Kbps up. The upload is the 1XRTT maximum which is 144Kbps.

As to the original poster who has t-mobile; what phone do you have now? I have the Nokia 6133 and it works fine on my ibook and soon to be macbook which i'll have within the week.

7. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

You're probably right. I was working from memories of tests run on speedtest.net several months ago after I got the phone. 500-600 down is best case too - 300 or so is more normal.

8. newboy4128 thread starter macrumors newbie

newboy4128

Unfortunately T-Mobile does not have that devise, I wish they did though. As for the question about the phone I currently have the Motorola PEBL so I will probably have to upgrade.

Upon further reading I found the Apple website to have this in the macbook description page. "Built-in Bluetooth
    Connect wirelessly to Bluetooth-enabled peripherals or connect to the Internet via your mobile phone."

I was able to connect to my wife's RAZR V3 with my iMac and download her photos via bluetooth. So there is hope.

I believe the connection to my cell phone will be sufficient enough since it is just for when I am out of the office with the macbook.

As usual I appreciate everyones input.