macbook and tv?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by medicscott, Oct 23, 2009.

1. medicscott macrumors 6502a

medicscott

so i am new to the macbook world...but im on the road alot and would like to watch tv(live?) on it...ive looked around the forums and heard about eye tv, and apple tv. but it seems like you need a home box for these. is there any program that i can have to just have tv on my macbook? thx

2. spice weasel macrumors 65816

To get live tv, you need a tv tuner. If you want something small and portable, look at the Elgato eyetv hybrid. It's a little USB dongle.

I have no affiliation with Elgato and have never used any of the eyetv products.

3. phormality macrumors newbie

EyeTV will let you watch live TV, as has been said, but you will still need a cable hookup, or I think they might have an over the air model, but I think it is only for Europe. So you would most likely be taking the cable off of the hotel TV to hook up to your Mac… Kind of pointless.

Really, the best option would be to get a Slingbox at home. You could then watch anything you would watch at home while on the road over the internet. So anywhere you have internet you have live TV vs needing a cable hookup

4. spice weasel macrumors 65816

I think the eyetv hybrid accepts an antenna for OTA broadcasts.

5. medicscott thread starter macrumors 6502a

medicscott

thanks for the input guys...i went ahead and ordered a slingbox.