Macbook and two finger scrolling

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Lazernet, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Lazernet macrumors member

Hey everyone! I just bought my new 2.4Ghz Macbook (a blackbook :)... and I while scrolling through some web pages I had an epiphany. Why do we drag two fingers down to make the page scroll down when on the iPhone, we drag the page up to scroll down? Am I the only one who is thinking that there should be an option to make two fingered scrolling "reverse" for those used to the way the iPhone functions?

...now if my 4GB of RAM would get here already, I'll be good to go :)

- Eric

2. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

I understand what you're saying, but on the iPhone you're moving the actual page whereas on a bowser (on your laptop) you're scrolling up and down the page :)

Though, I don't see why they couldn't add that option into the MB.

3. Arjy macrumors member

I guess I can see what you're saying, but when I scroll on mine, it feels more natural for it to move like i m using a scrolling wheel or something, rather than pushing the page itself like on the iphone.

4. mr. feeny macrumors member

That's a good question...but regardless, enjoy that 4g's of ram!

5. Cyroceon macrumors 6502a

Cyroceon

I've got iPhone also and I disagree with you. Like the other guy said, on iPhone we push the page up or down, whereas on the computer we are actually moving our screen down the existing page, while the page remains where it is. They would also need an animation change for the scroll bar for that to work.

6. iGrant macrumors 6502a

iGrant

I had the same thought about a month ago, and ever since, scrolling down on my Macbook just seems to confuse me! I also have an iPod Touch and I have gotten use to moving the page "up" as compared to scrolling. I would be nice if Apple included a setting were you could switch the scrolling mode between scrolling vs the moving a page like on the iPhone and iPod Touch!

-iGrant

7. TheStu macrumors 65816

Speaking of scrolling, am i the only one here that when telling someone to scroll through a webpage or document, will actually move their fingers through the air, as if swiping them across a trackpad?

8. Lazernet thread starter macrumors member

Funny you mention that -- I do the "italian hand gestures" myself while talking computer-lingo to people. For example, plugging things in, pressing and holding the power button, and inserting the driver CD all have hand gestures while I talk ;-). Can you tell I deal with IBM-compatibles all day?

On this thread's topic - I guess with apple getting more into multitouch trackpads, somehow I feel like it should be this way... when you swipe three fingers from right to left on the macbook air, does it not show you the next picture to the right? If so, shouldn't scrolling be as I described? :)... food for thought.

- Eric

9. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Smart Scroll was made to give Macs iPhone-like scrolling functionality