MacBook and using an external display.

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Avalon74, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Avalon74 macrumors member

Hi, I'm having a bit of an issue with Lion and my MacBook when using an external display. The display works as it should. but I'm running into an issue when I try to use only the external display. Previously (under 10.4, 10.5 and 10.6), I would sleep the MacBook and then wake it with my magic mouse, and then after waiting for it to wake up would open the lid of the MacBook and the built in display would remain off... under 10.7 the MacBook wants to always run with dual displays even if I close the MacBook, let it sleep, wake it and then wait before opening the lid. Anyone have any insights?

2. idkmybffjon macrumors member

lion is better at dealing with external displays in that when you close the lid with an external display connected it does not go to sleep it just switches the external to the main display. i don't really know how to accomplish opening the macbook but having the display off...but i also not know why you would want to have it open and not have the screen on. sorry i can't be of more help.

3. Avalon74 thread starter macrumors member

I dont need 2 displays... just one... running the macbook open reduces the heat levels since it intakes air through the keyboard... and all of the graphics are didicated to just one display. On Snow Leopard, this was as simple as closing the lid, waking the MacBook and then once it was awake, opening the lid. The result was my 19-inch monitor was the main display and the built in 13-inch display was off. On Lion repeating the same process above works for half a second, until the MacBook decides to activate its 13-inch display.

4. xvrdmng macrumors newbie

5. Avalon74 thread starter macrumors member

Ive not found one... any time I open the MAcBook lid after letting it sleep it automatically turns its display on... (also... Lion doent seem to be able to regain ethernet connection after waking from sleep but thats a different problem... and I cant rename folders Launchpad.)

6. kasakka macrumors 68000

While it will run hotter with the lid closed, I did this all day at work for more than a year with my 2009 MBP without problems.

7. xvrdmng macrumors newbie

external display

This sucks, eventually there will be a way to fix this. i hope so my 2010 13", gets really hot with heavy load and i don't wanna have to drive both display

8. idonotliketostu macrumors 6502

You can open the lid about an inch, anymore and the macbook lcd turns on.

9. xvrdmng macrumors newbie

mmm i think that will kill the lid in the time.

10. ohmrwhite, Jul 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2011

ohmrwhite macrumors newbie

The lid of the laptop contains the WiFi aerial behind the Apple icon. If you are a moderate distance from a wireless router, having your lid open is the difference between an excellent signal and a poor signal.

Additionally, the unibody acts as a heat-sink. By having the lid open you are removing an additional layer of insulation i.e. the screen & aluminium backing.

I really wish Apple would allow one to control which screens remain on when hooking up a secondary monitor.

At the moment, using Lion GM, I have had to resort to a magnet near my "fn" key (just over the audio port). It flicks the reed switch underneath and allows my MacBook Pro to remain open but with the screen turned off so I can use it with a secondary monitor and magic mouse/keyboard.