Macbook and weather conditions.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ShamrockD, Aug 1, 2013.

1. ShamrockD macrumors newbie

Ok,maybe it is a silly question but i just received my first macbook ever (a retina one) and i am concerned about something.

I really like to use my macbook outside,partiularly at my balcony.The point is that 70% of the times there it is very windy and as my mac sits on the table,its' screen/display moves a bit back and forth from the strong wind.

So i was concerned if the lightweight-thin screen will lose in time its stability and become more loose.Is it dangerous to work under strong wind or is the macbook's materials that strong i shouldn't worry at all?

2. jahall05 macrumors regular

I wouldn't worry. Apple tests products for durability.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

I would be far more worried about the laptop being blown off the table or even the balcony than the display bending or anything like that.

4. ShamrockD thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha,ok it may seem funny but is a bit scary to see a screen thin like that one to go back and forth from the the strong wind.

Anyway thanx!

5. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

I live in the sub tropics, work in Borneo, have taken Mac portables across Tropics, Middle East, Europe, US for years at a time and never had issue. Use and enjoy your Mac as intended.

I do have one 15" MacBook Pro that now has some issues, then again it`s over six years old and run for over 35K hours, battery finally died :p

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

Would lead to a new meaning for a user suddenly exclaiming "Oh ******!"

7. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

Don't read this response.

Read the big shiny fruit's website under maintenance etc. The machines are aluminium it absorbs heat and cold, if you expose anything electronic and organic like musical instruments of wood, to extreme temps and humidities / dryness it will drastically and irreversibly affect it totally for the worst.

You spend this much for an already over priced gadget you MAY as well baby it and maintain it's environment's temp etc otherwise bye bye to 2000+ dollars.

8. B... macrumors 68000

B...

We're talking about wind. Not extreme temperatures.

9. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

Oh ya oops. If it is windy get out of the wind. These machines are not invincible but heck, if you can afford one of these over priced gadgets, what is a little wind or weather going to do to stop you from getting a brand new one, no question! Happy times.

10. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

To better protect your rMBP, it is better to use it in a bunker. vpro is very experienced in this area and can provide best practices... :D

11. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

Mmmm mmm...

Oh you... Don't even get me started on that!

12. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

I honestly would not recommend that at all. If the wind is so strong that it is moving your screen (changing how tilted it is), then I would assume it absolutely would loosen up sooner than it normally would. If you replace your macbook every 2 years or so it may not be a problem. But I would definitely expect that to impact how long that "durability" would last, at least after a few years

I doubt they would consider that "normal use". These aren't construction worker grade products. I'm sure they test thoroughly for heat (cus the thing is basically an oven), but otherwise they test for wear in normal use conditions.